Narrow the search for a Cherokee?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Narrow the search for a Cherokee?

Hey I'm Dane. I really only ride motorcycles but I'm finding myself in need of a vehicle. I'm digging the old boxy XJ Cherokees and I'm hoping someone can help me narrow down my search criteria.

I need to be able to tow a small trailer with 2 motorcycles (lets say 2,000-3000lbs)
I'd use it for some random city driving when bikes are out of commission or the weather is too bad to ride. Random camping trips (I'll sleep outside)
I daydream about some moderate off-roading but I doubt it would happen often, if at all. I have a lot of projects that take up most of my time already.
I need to be able to work on it myself (within reason) I'm no master mechanic, but I figure the Cherokee has a pretty big community to help me out and plenty of aftermarket parts.
I noticed it came in some different versions over the years. I definitely like the boxier ones. 2 door vs 4 door I'm not sure. I seriously don't know cars so is 4wd even something I would need for the above mentioned tasks?

Would love it if you guys could point me in the right direction for specific models, year range, etc. I could care less about extra crap. I don't need a radio, heater, AC, power windows, blah blah blah. Budget is $2000 and below.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Have a good one -Dane
Old 03-18-2018, 12:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Welcome to the family... well at least searching to be part of the Jeep family....

As for the XJ's.... only one's I'd steer clear of is the 2000 +.... there's a known issue with the heads cracking... but '99 and older you're good.
Main thing to look for is rot. Because the XJ does not have a separate frame like some other vehicles do.
Check any you find really well for cancer.
If you plan on towing, You definitely want to look for a 4.0L (which is the inline 6 cyl.). If you find one that has been taken care of, they are damn near built-proof.

As for 2wd vs. 4wd... for your purpose, probably not. However, that being said... the vast majority of the XJ's built were 4wd, so that's probably what you'll find the most of in your search.

Other than that, look for the normal obvious things you would on any vehicle.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketMouse
Welcome to the family... well at least searching to be part of the Jeep family....

As for the XJ's.... only one's I'd steer clear of is the 2000 +.... there's a known issue with the heads cracking... but '99 and older you're good.
Main thing to look for is rot. Because the XJ does not have a separate frame like some other vehicles do.
Check any you find really well for cancer.
If you plan on towing, You definitely want to look for a 4.0L (which is the inline 6 cyl.). If you find one that has been taken care of, they are damn near built-proof.

As for 2wd vs. 4wd... for your purpose, probably not. However, that being said... the vast majority of the XJ's built were 4wd, so that's probably what you'll find the most of in your search.

Other than that, look for the normal obvious things you would on any vehicle.
Thanks so much for the info! I'm in southern California so typically we don't have to worry much about rusting, but I'll definitely be crawling under anything I find.

Inline 6 4WD, sounds good to me! I dig those 2 doors but they seem harder to find, and the ones I have found are listed as 2WD

EDIT: Not sure if I said it already but I'm wanting a manual. Part of why I hate driving cars is that I get really bored when driving an automatic. Seems like they're harder to find manual, but maybe that's just around here.

Last edited by Dane_M; 03-19-2018 at 09:29 AM.