My first Jeep! 1985 Cherokee XJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1985
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Stock
Default My first Jeep! 1985 Cherokee XJ

Hello CF. My name is Cody, I'm in Calgary Canada and a month or so ago I purchased my first Jeep! For a mere $500 CND I snagged a 1985 Cherokee XJ CommandTrac, 2-door. Only a 2.5L, but the sweet treat is it only has 166k klm on it!

Excited to be part of the family and turn this old buggy into a casual mudder. I'll probably only take it to Waiparous region, not too far around the Rockies, as it's my first 4x4. Very excited!

I do have some mechanical questions regarding the Cherokee, if someone could please direct me to the correct forum for posting those kinds of questions. For giggles I'll add my questions here also.

It's an older whip, my buddy believes the tranny linkage is loose. However the big thing going on is it sounds like a rocker is loose. When I first purchased it an for about the first month, while running (idle or moving) there would be an inconsistent clanking sound coming from under the hood (or underneath hard to tell). Just the other day as I was headed to work, I hit a manhole and suddenly it sounded like Pat Sajak was hosting a game of Wheel of Fortune in my transfer case (I believe that's where it's coming from). I turned home as I was close by, and after about 5 minutes of that, the noise suddenly disappeared entirely. It actually sounds better than ever now, but I'm still concerned something is wrong. I have been driving on it fine since the incident, I try not to accelerate too fast (can imagine how slow the 2.5L goes! ). Note, the Jeep was previously a snow plow for a car dealership.

I'm not vehicle expert, I'm just getting into it all, so I'm not sure how to better describe my issue. I don't think it's my muffle, as I've heard they tend to sag down and rattle.

Look forward to being part of the Cherokee community!

Cheers,
Cody
First photo, the night of purchase.

Just needed a new alternator, some general tune-ups.

Interior is in good shape. The insulation is exposed on the ceiling, but for 166k she looks great.

Last edited by Schoobs; 07-08-2017 at 02:04 PM.