Me and My "Lil'red" 97 xj

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Talking Me and My "Lil'red" 97 xj

So I've been stalking Cherokeeforum for a while but today I finally made an account. I have a red 97' Jeep Cherokee XJ I like to call "Rojito" or "Lil'red" that I picked up about 2 years ago. The previous owner clearly didn't know much about repairing the thing because about every other part on the car is barely held together with a repair that shouldn't have lasted more than a week. The jeep also leaked from about every common leak point I could research, thanks Cherokeeforum. About the only thing that was still seemed good on it was the body and interior, however the plastics where fading. Soon after I got it i decided to fix any small problems it had, broken window motor, blown out rear hatch struts, oil change, etc. I also repainted the plastics black. I thought it looked good so I took this picture...

I was not done yet. It looked a little low to me, so i got a 3" lift from BDS. It came with the bare minimum that i needed, new coils, new shocks, an add-a-leaf, thats about it. The day finally comes to put the lift on and I'm baffled to find it already has a puck in the front and longer shackles in the rear. SWEET! 4"- 4.5" lift I figured, and I was right! I measured it to roughly that height. The jeep also needed new tires badly and I really liked the look of 32s so I found a new set of stock wrangler wheels and tires and slapped some adapters on and it looked great! This is the Jeep in Utah.

Soon after I installed the lift I noticed Death Wobble, which i still cannot seem to solve. The lift didn't come with a new track bar so I got one from Currie. which helped but didn't solve the problem. Next was new ball joints, also helped but didn't solve it. Next I noticed the tie-rod ends where going out so I got JCR Offroad's OTK steering, helped but not solved. This is about where Im at right now, I know I need new control arms, or just go long arm, so that is next on my list. Today I got some Truck-lite LEDs and I got new fender flares coming in too. I also got a tube bender coming in soon for a roof rack.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 2.5 td

Welcome from England.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:44 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Clean looking jeep. After those repairs did you get an alignment? it may be a castor issue causing the death wobble. With that size lift your going to need either adjustable arms or drop brackets. I went with both until i can afford some long arms.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:26 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by SoCal_XJ
Clean looking jeep. After those repairs did you get an alignment? it may be a castor issue causing the death wobble. With that size lift your going to need either adjustable arms or drop brackets. I went with both until i can afford some long arms.
Yes, I got an alignment about a month age. I think I will be doing control arms next as far as suspension goes. The arms are only stock length so I need to replace anyway. I think they are the only things left that could be causing the wobble, besides the steering box. The rest of the front end suspension is new in the past year or so.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Welcome to CF!
Old 01-25-2016, 06:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9 V8

People will say a steering stabilizer is only a 'bandaid' for death wobble, if it's leaking it could be the problem. After a new trackbar and tires, checking the alignment, ball joints, bolts and tierod ends mine was solved with a steering stabilizer.
Your Xj looks awesome! It's unbelievable how many new tire and wheel sets from JK's can be found in classifieds. I should have purchased a set of adapters for my Zj like you. Where in Utah is that?