Looking to buy a Jeep Cherokee XJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Looking to buy a Jeep Cherokee XJ

Hello everyone. I've been a Jeep owner for the past 30 years, and currently drive a 2013 Oscar Mike Freedom Edition JK.

Lately I've been looking to buy a XJ for the purposes of fixing up and preparing for my son to drive in a couple of years.

I've found a one-owner 2001 XJ 4.0L auto (2WD) with around 200k miles. Jeep looks clean and I plan to test drive soon. The owner said that the OD transmission might be going out as it runs at high RPM's in OD.

I'm curious how much it might cost me to rebuild the transmission if in fact it goes out. Can you help me out with a ball park figure?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2019, 09:33 PM

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts
Year: 2000, 1991
Engine: 4.0

I can't help much on the transmission but if there is a solenoid involved in OD that could be an easy and inexpensive fix. A bit of research or someone here should provide useful direction regarding if a solenoid controls overdrive.

Other than that, if you do not already know - 2000 and 2001 have what is called a version 0331 head that is prone to cracking, especially if it gets overheated. Look for physical evidence and repair records for a new radiator, water pump, aux fan, thermostat, low coolant level, antifreeze in the oil, etc. If it was me and timing allowed I would pull an oil sample and spend $28 to get an analysis run. That will show any significant elevated wear metals and if there is any antifreeze in the oil. It anything comes back unusual in the analysis I would ask for and possibly get $1k off the price unless the person is a *%#@ trying to pass off a compromised Jeep to an unsuspecting person.

Last edited by third coast; 03-20-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:49 PM

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts
Year: 2000, 1991
Engine: 4.0

You didn't put your location in your profile but if this Jeep spent any time in areas where salt is used on roads, and even if not, there is a good chance it has some floor pan rust, or worse. Potential problem areas that I would look at carefully include: passenger floor pan above exhaust system, rocker panels, seam between unibody frame and rocker panels, cargo area floor pan near wheel arch, spring mount points, rear inner fender seams especially low towards rear, lower rear quarter panels behind fender opening. You will want to get a good light and crawl under there and look. (welcome to the world of XJ’s if you have not already experienced them)
Old 03-22-2019, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by third coast
You didn't put your location in your profile but if this Jeep spent any time in areas where salt is used on roads, and even if not, there is a good chance it has some floor pan rust, or worse. Potential problem areas that I would look at carefully include: passenger floor pan above exhaust system, rocker panels, seam between unibody frame and rocker panels, cargo area floor pan near wheel arch, spring mount points, rear inner fender seams especially low towards rear, lower rear quarter panels behind fender opening. You will want to get a good light and crawl under there and look. (welcome to the world of XJ’s if you have not already experienced them)
I'm in Fort Worth, Texas so should not be any worries about rust but thanks for the reply! I'll update my profile.