Kenny from Olympia, WA. FNG..

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Kenny from Olympia, WA. FNG..

Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself! Name's Kenny. Just moved back up here to the Northwest(originally from here, been in Tennessee for 13 years though). I'm 24 and i work at a garage/wrecker service.

Dropped a car off in my wrecker yesterday and discovered this for sale, $1000:

96 Country. Need to get the brakes figured out(pedal goes to the floor), needs a muffler(previous owner had it straight piped), and a set of tires. Clean interior, very well maintained 4.0 HO(180k, but these things run forever right?), believe it's got the AW4 tranny. I jumped on it because I thought it was a good deal and I needed my own rig(been using my father's '62 CJ5 the last couple times I've been wheelin).

On to the things i noticed when I got home with it. Took it out in the pasture where it would be safe to check the drivetrain out. Transfer case seemed to be working good, tranny felt solid, everything was great. BUT, somethings going on in the front end. I measured from center of hub to fender and I'm sitting at 23.5" in back and 23" in front. so, it's lifted quite a bit? sits at 17" from factory right? Either way, I don't know enough to look at my front suspension and know if I have everything I'm supposed to and somethings binding up when I turn the wheel either direction. got some popping and jerking going on and looks like too much negative camber going on up there as well.. I still need to figure out what I've got for running gear in it. I know it's got a D35 in back, not sure about up front.

Anyway, looking to learn a lot here(lord knows i've got a lot to!) and make some new friends. Gonna do my best to research and figure out as much as I can on my own, but I'm hoping I can rely on some of you guys to help me out along the way. Any of you guys in Washington: I'm always down to turn some wrenches and put away some beers!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: renix inline 6

welcome, nice to see someone else from washington on here. also your front axle is a dana 30
Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 88jeepcherokeexj
welcome, nice to see someone else from washington on here. also your front axle is a dana 30
Thanks, man. Where bouts you at? So I've got a 35 and a 30, eh? Not a bad starter rig. what'a we got for wheel bearing assemblies up front? the whole knuckle gets replaced, right? pretty sure mine are shot, still gotta get the front end up in the air and push and pull on stuff, but it's pretty obvious that they're done.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Name:  10mnc4m.gif
Views: 11
Size:  45.2 KB
Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kennyWA

Thanks, man. Where bouts you at? So I've got a 35 and a 30, eh? Not a bad starter rig. what'a we got for wheel bearing assemblies up front? the whole knuckle gets replaced, right? pretty sure mine are shot, still gotta get the front end up in the air and push and pull on stuff, but it's pretty obvious that they're done.
Welcome Kenny! And for wheel bearings we have unit bearings.
The only thing is that you will need a 12 point 13mm socket to pull em out. Oh and a 36mm to take the axle nut off. I got em down to 8 min a side... Might take a normal person 30 min-a hour per side.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

And I'm south of you in Vancouver wa
Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

welcome....
Old 11-30-2012, 03:22 AM

Thanks guys. Lookin forward to some future meets. Gotta knock out a few things with the rig first.

Originally Posted by odgreen89on35s
Welcome Kenny! And for wheel bearings we have unit bearings.
The only thing is that you will need a 12 point 13mm socket to pull em out. Oh and a 36mm to take the axle nut off. I got em down to 8 min a side... Might take a normal person 30 min-a hour per side.
Thanks for the info. Been researching non stop for 4 days now and driving the wrecker in between. I wish I could figure out what I have for suspension brand-wise. It's about a 5".. adjustable short arms, a pretty beefy adjustable track bar. I noticed the crossmember for the transfer case has about 3/4" spacers to drop it down? I assume that's for my driveline angles? Shocks are white with no logos. In back I have a pretty tall(6in) shackle on the rear of my leafs. I'll get it all sorted out. Probably just gonna tear it all apart and clean and paint everything axle/steering wise. Aside from the wheel bearing, the driver side, front outer axle, and u-joint are probably bad as well, too. I've got like -5 degrees of camber up there... The tear down's gonna have to wait until next week. Got our Christmas Tree Run out at Elbe on saturday. It's late! Off to bed for me. Have to force myself because I'm obsessed with these forums and learning about the XJ..
Old 11-30-2012, 08:04 AM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0 HO

Welcome to the forum Kenny! From Olympia as well! Looks like you picked up a nice starter rig.
Who are you driving for? Sure we will see each other around.

Last edited by Richliveshots; 11-30-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Richliveshots
Welcome to the forum Kenny! From Olympia as well! Looks like you picked up a nice starter rig.
Who are you driving for? Sure we will see each other around.
Thanks man. Yeah it's a pretty nice find for $1000. I drive for Boyd's Towing on black lake. Not a huge operation. But it pays the bills. Two trucks. Got a shop and a junk yard. Do a lot of work for law enforcement so don't drive drunk otherwise it might be me who comes and impounds your ride! Where abouts in Olypmia are you? I'm on Steamboat.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

Welcome from across the pond.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:27 AM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by kennyWA
Thanks man. Yeah it's a pretty nice find for $1000. I drive for Boyd's Towing on black lake. Not a huge operation. But it pays the bills. Two trucks. Got a shop and a junk yard. Do a lot of work for law enforcement so don't drive drunk otherwise it might be me who comes and impounds your ride! Where abouts in Olypmia are you? I'm on Steamboat.
Im out by the Briggs Y Yelm Hwy and Henderson.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Richliveshots
Im out by the Briggs Y Yelm Hwy and Henderson.
Man there's tons of you guys around me! Awesome!