Jetdoctor Checking In

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jetdoctor Checking In

Hi All,
I am just checking in. I have found forums helpful in the past, and this one seems to be a good one.
We just moved to the Seattle/Tacoma area. For most of my life, I have ridden motorcycles on and off road. I have been to Prudhoe Bay, crossed Labrador, Trans-America Trail, Great Divide Ride, etc. Lots of great adventures.
Now that I have a 3 year old son, I would like to share some of these adventures with him. I was considering a side car for a motorcycle, but those are expensive/and the performance is not that great. Instead, I have decided on a Jeep XJ.
I have owned a CJ5 once upon a time, and had the displeasure of riding a couple of hundred miles in the back of a YJ with no top. Neither will work. The new Rubicons are great, but the entrance fee is too steep. I think that an XJ will do what I want. Talking to a buddy of mine who worked for Chrysler in training, and is a master tech, the XJ is a really good platform. So that is the direction I am headed. My goal is to make a reliable adventure vehicle.
After I find a good candidate, I plan on a lifted suspension kit with an emphasis on good shocks. I have a lot of experience with off road suspension on motorcycles, and should be able to translate some of that to a 4 wheeler. If you are getting beat up all of the time, it is no fun. Lockers and gearing are to be determined.
I already have a JD2 bender with hydraulics, welders, small lathe and mill, etc. so this should be a fun project.
This is going to be a different experience. Since I have already ridden motorcycles at Moab, the Alpine Loop in CO, the Rubicon in CA etc. I have always been kind of bemused at the trouble 4 wheelers have. OTOH, they were warm and dry, and I was worried about getting struck by lightning......
Cheers,
Doug
Old 06-30-2014, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site.