Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Jeep to no Jeep, to Jeep again!

Greetings!
I had a 97 Cherokee that was totaled... (Crappy story, let me know and I'll fill ya in sometime).
I'm selling my truck to get out of debt and my goal is to get another XJ as my daily driver. In the future I will get another ride for a daily driver and then work on setting up my rig the way I want it! I have found some XJ's that are stock and some that are already lifted for sale. I'll have to inspect either very well before I purchase, but when I do I'll be sure to post pics here!

Well, my luck turned and I found a 97 XJ with my name all over it! It already has a lift and 33 x 12.5 15's and a home brewed front bumper! Came with a roof rack, but I'm going to paint it Desert Sand before I install it. I am already in love with the thing and it has only been weeks. DD for now so I will be keeping the mods to a minimum for mountain excursions and camping trips with the fam. I'm glad to be a part of this great community. Sooo many awesome people here with bad ***** builds!

I know my way around vehicles fairly well, but there is a lot about this beast that I don't know. I will post pictures, and if anyone has the time can you please fill me in on what I do have under there? I know of some parts, but I cannot tell what size or brand the lift is.
Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should post the pics? I don't want to clutter up a thread if I don't have to. I have pics of the undercarriage so far...

I do know that I am the 3rd owner (YES!) And that the original owner was an old man in the area that saved every receipt he could. I have oil changes out the wazoo and fixes on every little thing! There was even an engine rebuild/swap. Those receipts were hand written on yellow not pad, but good listings of items and work with prices and dates.
One thing I don't get is the mileage. he odometer reads 187750, but the last of the oil changes read in the 220 k's. Not sure if it was replaced with one from the rebuilt motor or what...
There are extras like a Tranny temp gauge, light wires ran for the roof rack (Though I did not see any relays for them under the hood. Only a couple of fuses.) As well, an electric fan next to the main fan. (I might have tripped a fuse when hooking the switch back up though when installing a stereo. I heard a tick, then I couldn't get the correct two of three wires back on the switch to make it work again.) Also have a CB wire hanging on the left rear rain gutter. The PO said it runs up under the passenger dash area. (sweet!) Spotted small pin riser on the back of the hood for venting heat as well. Doesn't look too bad to me.

She runs good and strong and has aftermarket exhaust. 4X4 works great as well.

I did notice that the oil pressure gauge freaks out sometimes. It will be settled top center and then drop down to 5 or so and fluctuate causing my "Check Gauges" light to come on. (Just more for me to do to get accustomed to working on a Jeep again )

Well, that's all for now folks. I appreciate anyone who stops by!

I'll start up a build thread as soon as I get going on anything! Hopefully it wont look like a 3rd graders work compared to all the Ninjas here! lol

~LG
Attached Thumbnails Jeep to no Jeep, to Jeep again!-97-pre-paint.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 01:26 PM

Nice rig man! Looks pretty clean
Old 06-01-2014, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome
Old 06-02-2014, 08:40 AM

Thanks guys!

I can't wait to start building it up.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site.

Tony
Old 06-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Thanks Tony!
Old 06-17-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

Welcome! Nice jeep man. Looks nice and clean...a little too clean
Old 06-18-2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by gvns8
Welcome! Nice jeep man. Looks nice and clean...a little too clean
Lol If you could only look outside my door now!
Attached Thumbnails Jeep to no Jeep, to Jeep again!-jeep-mountains.jpg  
Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 AM

How long do I need to be a member to have a pic under my name on the left of my posts?