Howdy from the Twin Cities

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Howdy from the Twin Cities

After many months of lurking on these forums thought it was high time to start posting. Reason being... My Cherokee is the best truck I've ever owned and me thinks I blew the head gasket. After a really bad over heat and shut down, I did my day late and dollar short thermostat and radiator flush to watch as the exhaust showed white sweet smoke and a compression loss on the 2,3 cylinders.

I would appreciate any input or links in regards to the following questions.

1. Cant find a strait answer on what this jeep actually is VIN: 1J4FJ58S6NL188274 some sites say Sport some say Laredo....can someone decode the VIN?

2. Which other years would be a compatible swap for the Cylinder head? I have found a number of heads at local parts stores from 90,91,93,94 at reasonable prices. nothing for a 92....
Old 09-09-2011, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

Welcome to the forum, glad you decided to join. As far as Q#1, the laredo and sport packages look fairly different. The laredo has silver trim pieces on the bottom of the sides, as well as the flares and bumper end caps are silver. Also, the grille is chrome. I have a '92 xj laredo and it also has silver painted bumpers, but not all do. With Q#2, do you know for sure you need a new head? It could have just blown the gasket.