Help me pick an XJ!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help me pick an XJ!!!!

I'm about to check out two different XJ's this coming Saturday & I could use some help. I've read as much as I could on buying guides on what to look for, but the two Jeeps are from different eras. One from 1989 & the other from 2000. I know the 2k XJ has all the best options...OBDII, steal rear hatch, nicer interior, & the 4.0 HO.

The '89 has been converted over to 134A on the A/C, but has high miles from being towed behind a motor home (from a previous owner than the currant one). The mileage is sitting at 365k, which seems pretty steep even for a motor home tow behind. A few parts have been already replaced by the current owner.

The prices on them are $5,500 for the 2000 XJ, and $1,800 for the '89.

The savings in the '89 would go towards some major upgrades like front & rear bumbers with some frame stiffing for extra measure. I would have to wait a bit till I could do these things to the '00 XJ. But the added benefit of the newer Cherokee might outweigh the cheaper '89.

By the way, the '89 is a 2 door & the '00 is a 4 door. I have one child, so the extra door would come in handy since he is still in a car seat, but it's not a complete deal breaker....more of a small annoyance of more stretching to get him in & out in the 2 door.

What's your take on the two? I'm meeting them up this Saturday & could use some advice. I've been stuck in a Mazda B2300 manual for about 4 years now & could use a change of scenery, plus the 4x4 would help with an upcoming hunting season that I've been putting off for a few years due to the 2wd truck I've been driving.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/6177231937.html

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/6164405379.html
Old 06-18-2017, 11:39 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Neither . Scanning the Atlanta Craigslist to try to pick you some better options . The 2000 is way over priced and 00-01's are the ones prone to the heads cracking . The 89 with 365k I wouldn't consider .
Old 06-18-2017, 11:43 PM

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/6171988320.html I like this one , you may not but still looking . You're really fortunate 1200 cherokees with just searching by owner rigs in Atlanta area . Around here there might be 100. I really like this one https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/6154683970.html and one more https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/6156666756.html

Last edited by GreaseMonkey17; 06-18-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:58 PM

Hey GreaseMonkey,

I don't know how I missed those in my searches....that first one is very tempting at that price. The second one doesn't actually have a price listed, just saying he has $6500 into & willing to take parts off depending on what he sell's it for.

I'll contact the first one, I like the fact it's already lifted with new tires. Thanks for the search!!!
Old 06-19-2017, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Terrain
Hey GreaseMonkey,

I don't know how I missed those in my searches....that first one is very tempting at that price. The second one doesn't actually have a price listed, just saying he has $6500 into & willing to take parts off depending on what he sell's it for.

I'll contact the first one, I like the fact it's already lifted with new tires. Thanks for the search!!!
no problem didn't really upset me too much to look at more Jeeps haha there's a third link in my last response kept editing my post so that I didn't have to keep making new posts .
Old 06-19-2017, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17
no problem didn't really upset me too much to look at more Jeeps haha there's a third link in my last response kept editing my post so that I didn't have to keep making new posts .
That third XJ doesn't have a working A/C, it doesn't bother me much but my son sure would hate it while driving around. But I do like all the under armor protection so it's a tough choice. If the A/C could be an easy fix I wouldn't mind getting it.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Terrain
That third XJ doesn't have a working A/C, it doesn't bother me much but my son sure would hate it while driving around. But I do like all the under armor protection so it's a tough choice. If the A/C could be an easy fix I wouldn't mind getting it.
I understand I have two kids myself . Best of luck in your search !
Old 06-19-2017, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I'd be looking for a clean stock one. That one for 5500 looks nice but is tomuch.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by abodyjoe
I'd be looking for a clean stock one. That one for 5500 looks nice but is tomuch.
This was my original thought, since XJ's are unibody, I've been worried about excessive frame twisting if they've been taken off-road or abused. That one for $5,500 has really taken my eye, but he also upgraded the wheels which may indicate he tried to take it off-road but didn't strengthen the chassis. Still overpriced either way.

It's been pretty tiring trying to find a hardly used XJ for a long term ride. I live in Georgia now, but plan to move to Western Montana in about 3 years. So I want to be sure I have a vehicle that I can use up there.

I'm almost tempted to look for a body of frame style 4x4. It's just the Wrangler style Jeeps are so way overpriced these days that I won't even bother with them. I'd love a F250 Superduty 4x4 extended cab....but price is a bit steep. I'd rather put my money into my house and sell it for a better price when I move.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17

I got an email back from this one, said he would take $5,000 for it all. I'm tempted to look it over & if it looks good I might just get it. Anyone think this is a good price with all the parts & new tires?
Old 06-22-2017, 01:05 AM

It looks really well kept and has had a ton of money put into it recently . I would go look at it and bring cash I'd try to get it for 4500 but that's just my opinion .