Hello from NE Ohio!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Hello from NE Ohio!

I creeped around the forums a bit, reading up on the OEM issues and whatnot, and eventually got my 1997 Cherokee Sport. She's a little banged up, but mechanically runs like a monster. The prior owner dumped a new radiator into it literally days before selling it to me (showed me the receipt from a local auto place, also could definitely tell the radiator was brand new). I've only had her for about 7 days now, and in those 7 days, I've been getting acquainted with the Cherokee.

I went from a small Mazda 626, so this was a big step up. But from what else I've gathered from getting to know my Jeep, is that these things get rusty - especially here in Ohio. And I'm already dumping money into certain things that need replaced because of the rust. But I was prepared for this, because I knew this Jeep was going to need repairs. So far, I'm looking into getting new shocks all the way around, as mine are literally on their last leg, and on the verge of just falling to pieces due to car cancer. The unibody needs some definite work. My rockers will need either reinforced later on, or just replaced. I've read into boat sides, but I'm not quite sure I understand what they are. Underneath will need reinforcing down the road, but it'll hold for a little bit. I'm just going to slow the rust for now, but it will have to still be salvageable when I get the reinforcements.

I do plan on doing light off-roading in this thing, and I understand all the money that can run me - just because the general nature of the sport involves breaking things every now and then. I may invest in a small lift that still uses the original coils as well, or maybe a 3inch lift later (and I mean LATER) down that line if the Jeep is still holding. I mean, she only has 160k miles on her. I kept my transmission-eater of a car running like a dream, so I should be able to keep the Jeep on the road.

Other than that, perhaps I'll see some of you at some Jeep gathering thing in the near future!
Old 05-08-2015, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome!
Old 05-09-2015, 04:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 td