Hello from Cali mountains!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hello from Cali mountains!

Hi!
I am not new to jeeps, but to cherokees I am. I am in the process of selling my wrangler (quite against my will) and using the cherokee instead. My brother gave me the cherokee, and it is certainly not in the shape I am used to! lol

My wrangler is a really nice rig...now I just need to upgrade the cherokee to be a nice rig too. So far, the belts and hoses are pretty messed up but it should pass smog now (I hope). I am going to get an aluminum radiator because I have heard that cherokees like to overhead easily. It also seriously needs a paint job as the teal is just nasty lookin...and red stripes? teal with red? who thought that one up? well I was just thinking about doing a truck bed liner on it. I really don't care if it pretty nor not; I just want the ugly teal gone.

The thing is only worth $500, so I am not going to put a ton of money into it, like I did my wrangler. I replaced the headliner already as it was falling off into my face..lol...now to slowly get the rest of it up to par...anyone have any ideas I would be grateful to know....like I said, my first cherokee so just learning about them. It does ride rather smoother than what I'm used to with the wrangler, and the room....omgoodness I could fit all kinds of things in it! I hate that I have to get rid of my rig, but hey at least I am trading jeep for jeep.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:15 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 i6

i got an 89 im putting a 3 inch with 33s nothing fancy but when i need to go over something or through water it will go. i snorkled it out with abs piping and silicone everywhere(distrubter cap and stuff) also put a k & N in it so like i said nothing fance but it does the job nicely..
Old 08-10-2011, 07:05 PM

oh yea a k&n...I forgot about those. I'll have to get one of those too. I have one in my wrangler. I am currently needing to replace the emergency brake handle too. the button came out and hasn't worked for years from what my bro says. I found a dismantler fairly close that has the handle for $25. Is that pricey? I can't seem to find them anywhere else so even if it is pricey I have to pay it I guess. oh and the seats are in pretty bad shape. When looking for parts, what years cover the '93? I mean, does it go basically from '88 to '99?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 i6

ya basicaly as my jeep goes mine is from 87 to 96 ish really depending on parts. basic stuff like the handle will fit most years. when getting techinal with gears or trannys i say go with same year to b safe. what else are u trying to do to it?? befor ur ready to have fun
Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Old 08-12-2011, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

91-95 XJs are exactly identicle. So, when looking for OEM parts in the junkyard look for them, like parts for your 4.0 HO motor. Lots of things are bolt into your Jeep 84-96. The 97+ are different. Get ahold of GRIMUS (Jason) here on the forum. He gat get you a killer deal on anything sold by Rough Country. I suggest a 6.5" lift and 4.88 gear package from them. Then, you will be ready for 35s and your Jeep will look and 4wheel awesome!!