Hello

Old 02-16-2019, 07:32 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 5
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Hello

My name is Rob, currently living in South Africa however during northern summer moving to Spain. Have a 97 XJ bought last summer in France. Has 94k km. Some maintenance needs to be done. Am searching for a cargo cover. The interior is beige. Does any one has one?
Thanks Rob.

97 XJ Metallic green, beige interior.
Rcjcpt is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 07:57 AM
  #2  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,094
Default

Originally Posted by Rcjcpt View Post
My name is Rob, currently living in South Africa however during northern summer moving to Spain. Have a 97 XJ bought last summer in France. Has 94k km. Some maintenance needs to be done. Am searching for a cargo cover. The interior is beige. Does any one has one?
Thanks Rob.97 XJ Metallic green, beige interior.
First welcome to the forum.
Second when it comes to these European versions I want to see pictures. LOL.
Inside and out.
Trying to make some changes to my American made Sport to a achieve a European/European Orvis clone of sorts.
So just so you know, and am assuming just cause it is a European version it would not matter, that the color in there is Saddle.
Is a '97 and '98 color only.
'99 to '01 is Camel.
Now would a Camel one match at least close enough? Not a clue.
Do you have a full spare in there or a space saver one?
Kinda matters in a way.
Also the spare tire cover are there 2 D Rings on it?
That cover would just be a tarp of sorts.
Or do you have mounting points for the retractable one?
In the US '96 and down have the retractable one.
'97 and up the tarp one.
So here is shot of a Camel one in my '00.
I do not have the D-Rings on the tire cover I am using.
But do have the tire cover for a full size spare that came with it.
I happen to have tie downs on all 4 corners of my cargo area.
I made these straps to be able to use it.
Included some shots.

Ralph77 is online now  
Old 02-17-2019, 02:47 AM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 5
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Dear Ralph

Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
First welcome to the forum.
Second when it comes to these European versions I want to see pictures. LOL.
Inside and out.
Trying to make some changes to my American made Sport to a achieve a European/European Orvis clone of sorts.
So just so you know, and am assuming just cause it is a European version it would not matter, that the color in there is Saddle.
Is a '97 and '98 color only.
'99 to '01 is Camel.
Now would a Camel one match at least close enough? Not a clue.
Do you have a full spare in there or a space saver one?
Kinda matters in a way.
Also the spare tire cover are there 2 D Rings on it?
That cover would just be a tarp of sorts.
Or do you have mounting points for the retractable one?
In the US '96 and down have the retractable one.
'97 and up the tarp one.
So here is shot of a Camel one in my '00.
I do not have the D-Rings on the tire cover I am using.
But do have the tire cover for a full size spare that came with it.
I happen to have tie downs on all 4 corners of my cargo area.
I made these straps to be able to use it.
Included some shots.

Many thanks for the reply. Indeed have a full size spare tire. Then cover does not have the straps, the colour camel would be close enough for me. The car is from 97.

Later will install seat heating.

Added front fog lights with original,4 switch bezel.

Rcjcpt is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 03:24 AM
  #4  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,094
Default

Looks nice and clean in there. I like it.
European radio I see. Looks so much different then an american version.
With the 6 speaker Infinity Sound System. I don't have that in mine but have installed the door tweeters.
Trying to figure out a way to get the amp installed. Want it to look like factory.
Headlight leveling system. We don't have that in the US. I know most in Europe have it.
I don't need that but if I could get all the parts and be able to hook it up I would.
Just because. LOL.
So I am seeing a 3 slot bezel. You said you hooked up front fogs with a 4 slot bezel. So in the 3 slot bezel shot what
is the switch all the way to the right? Rear fogs? Another thing we don't have in the US.
How did you hook up the front fogs? I installed factory looking front fogs in my '00 that did not come with them.
Used a factory switch and aftermarket OEM looking fogs lights up front. But since not all the wiring was there
had to wire like you would aftermarket ones.
Do you have power seats in there? Driver's or both sides?
I added power seats myself. Also trying to figure out how to get heated seats that look factory.
Also want to put headrests in the back seat. That is a European thing but US versions don't come with them.

So you are going to need the cover. And you are going to have to install the tie downs.
If you can find the whole set up, tire cover with the D Rings and the cover you will only have to
install 2 tie downs on the passenger side. If only the cover itself then 4 tie downs. And use those extensions like I did.
You want to try and find a full size spare cover. But if you find a space saver spare one it just means you will have more
fabric by the spare and I am thinking it will just fold down there and still work.

So some pictures of the tie downs. This is not my Jeep but is better then any picture of mine I have trying to show this.
So if you look closely on the right you will see the tie downs in the circles. On the left where the 2 more tie downs will need
to be put if you don't get the tire cover with the cargo cover.

Second shot is of the factory heated seat switches with the needed wiring harness. If you can find all the pieces that should be
plug and play.

My shot of my 4 slot bezel with the fog light and Ext Idle switch. I still have to hook up the Ext Idle switch.

Just a shot of an American radio.






Ralph77 is online now  
Old 02-17-2019, 03:51 AM
  #5  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 5
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Hello,

Indeed all Europe spec. Car has all the origional stickers on windows / doors / engine etc. Door tweeters are there, have replaced the door speakers the amp is under the back seat. Have renewed the headliner as it was sagging. The 3 switches are for the heated rear window, rear fog light (required by law in Europe) and rear wiper / wash.After some search found the 4 switch bezel and installed aftermaket but looks like real front fog lights, Installed electric antenna.
What needs to be done is replacement of the front window rubber seal. The seal has shrunk and become hard. There is a cap between the body and rubber seal. However understand need to remove the front windshield and glue everything again. Also lookimg for the correct CD changer Undersrand not all Jeep cd changers work with this system.
Is you tire cover and cargo cover for sale? Thanks Rob.
Rcjcpt is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 04:22 AM
  #6  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,094
Default

Originally Posted by Rcjcpt View Post
Indeed all Europe spec. Car has all the origional stickers on windows / doors / engine etc. Door tweeters are there, have replaced the door speakers the amp is under the back seat. Have renewed the headliner as it was sagging. The 3 switches are for the heated rear window, rear fog light (required by law in Europe) and rear wiper / wash.After some search found the 4 switch bezel and installed aftermaket but looks like real front fog lights, Installed electric antenna.
What needs to be done is replacement of the front window rubber seal. The seal has shrunk and become hard. There is a cap between the body and rubber seal. However understand need to remove the front windshield and glue everything again. Also lookimg for the correct CD changer Undersrand not all Jeep cd changers work with this system.
Is you tire cover and cargo cover for sale? Thanks Rob.
No sorry the tire cover and cargo cover are not for sale.
But check this out. Was curious about having one made.
Went to the local dry cleaner. Had them give me a ballpark on the price.
If I were to supply all the materials. Canvas, webbing, and hooks they say it would be about $45 to make one.
Which all things considered seemed very reasonable. I was thinking if I did this I would make it black.
It would not be an exact reproduction but lets face it. It is just a tarp.

I am curious about your electric antenna install.
Did you use a Jeep one or an aftermarket one?

The rubber molding on the front windshield is not just on top. There is a channel that the windshield
goes in under there that you can only see. And once it starts separating only way to fix it properly is
to have the windshield removed and replaced. With a new seal would be best.

When you say a CD Changer do you mean a single one in the radio?
Your shot is fuzzy so I can't see if it is just a cassette or cassette/CD one.
Noticing a CD button on it though.
Or do you mean a 6 CD changer like I have?
If I could get a look at the connectors on the back of the radio I might know. Maybe?
Only thing is I have to assume US radios are different the European ones.
Like how do frequencies work?
For instance are radio stations AM or FM?
Do the frequency number work the same way?
For instance a popular FM station in my area is 104.1
If your vehicle was in the states could you tune that in with your radio.
Have to forgive my ignorance never really thought about this before.

Here is shot of mine with the enclosure in the cargo area. With the wired and wireless remotes.


Ralph77 is online now  
Old 02-17-2019, 09:39 AM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 5
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Hello

Thanks, noted that the fasterners for the cargo area cover can still be ordered via Mopar. Will get a tarpaulin and make one. Should not be too difficult.
Looking a for 6 disc CD changer and the cover you have, however noted the various CD changer are available however do not seem to work with every Radio and hence believe you need to a specific part number, the number i have. Have been looking for the cover to hide the CD changer however have not found one yet.
Radio is indeed AM / FM and will work, it has an CD button to operate the CD changer. Antenna is aftermarket brand is Hirshman (German made).
Not easy to get original parts for this Jeep. Have a Porsche 911 Targa from 1980 and those parts are readily available and origional. Would have expected this for the Jeep to be the same however does not seem so.
Thanks Rob.

Still have some cleaning up to do.
Rcjcpt is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 10:20 AM
  #8  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,094
Default

Originally Posted by Rcjcpt View Post
Thanks, noted that the fasterners for the cargo area cover can still be ordered via Mopar. Will get a tarpaulin and make one. Should not be too difficult.
Looking a for 6 disc CD changer and the cover you have, however noted the various CD changer are available however do not seem to work with every Radio and hence believe you need to a specific part number, the number i have. Have been looking for the cover to hide the CD changer however have not found one yet.
Radio is indeed AM / FM and will work, it has an CD button to operate the CD changer. Antenna is aftermarket brand is Hirshman (German made).
Not easy to get original parts for this Jeep. Have a Porsche 911 Targa from 1980 and those parts are readily available and origional. Would have expected this for the Jeep to be the same however does not seem so.
Thanks Rob.Still have some cleaning up to do.
So here is what I think I know. You most likely have this round connector on the back of your radio. See the second shot. That is my radio. So that is to operate the a CD Changer from the radio. No need for the wired remote like I showed in the picture above. Now my research seems to agree with yours. Just cause you can hook up that cable from the CD Changer to the back of the radio does not mean it will work. Older CD Changers will not interface with newer radios and vice versa. So here is what you can possibly do. This is a FM Modulator.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Mopar-C...ss!06795!US!-1

I don't have any pictures of mine but am pretty sure this is the exact one I have in my Jeep. Despite the fact that I have that round connector in the back of the radio this is how I use the CD Changer. I will explain why later. So it is powered, hooked up between the antenna and the radio, and plays over a lower FM frequency. Now the CD Changer plugs into it and so does the wired remote that you see in the picture above. My Jeep came with this set up when I bought it. I believe the CD Changer and the enclosure to be a Dealer, not Factory, installed option. So I have no idea how to hook one of those up. But it works really well IMO. But you would need the wired remote to do this. Also off the top of my head I don't know what FM frequency it plays on but I can look and tell you. So that radio you see below did not come with my Jeep. It a had a more basic factory radio without the round connector. That radio was an Ebay score. For $40. Came with this iSimple device that plugs into the round connector on the back of the radio and has a 30 pin Apple connector that lets me play my 160 GB iPod through the factory system. I never did try to hook up my CD Changer to that radio to see if it would interface. More shots to illustrate what I am talking about.

So I do have a question. In your engine bay shot what is that black box to the left of the yellow sticker behind your AC drier? I always wonder why the air boxes on European Version are different too.
PM me your email address. Somebody else asked me for dimensions and more detailed shots of the cargo cover. Cause they wanted to make one too. So I can just forward that to you and hopefully will be enough info for you to work with.






Ralph77 is online now  
Old 02-17-2019, 02:22 PM
  #9  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 5
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Hello

Thanks for reply. I looked up the black box details however forgot. It has no wires attached currently so not sure what is does or supposed to do.
how do I pm my email address?




Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
So here is what I think I know. You most likely have this round connector on the back of your radio. See the second shot. That is my radio. So that is to operate the a CD Changer from the radio. No need for the wired remote like I showed in the picture above. Now my research seems to agree with yours. Just cause you can hook up that cable from the CD Changer to the back of the radio does not mean it will work. Older CD Changers will not interface with newer radios and vice versa. So here is what you can possibly do. This is a FM Modulator.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Mopar-C...ss!06795!US!-1

I don't have any pictures of mine but am pretty sure this is the exact one I have in my Jeep. Despite the fact that I have that round connector in the back of the radio this is how I use the CD Changer. I will explain why later. So it is powered, hooked up between the antenna and the radio, and plays over a lower FM frequency. Now the CD Changer plugs into it and so does the wired remote that you see in the picture above. My Jeep came with this set up when I bought it. I believe the CD Changer and the enclosure to be a Dealer, not Factory, installed option. So I have no idea how to hook one of those up. But it works really well IMO. But you would need the wired remote to do this. Also off the top of my head I don't know what FM frequency it plays on but I can look and tell you. So that radio you see below did not come with my Jeep. It a had a more basic factory radio without the round connector. That radio was an Ebay score. For $40. Came with this iSimple device that plugs into the round connector on the back of the radio and has a 30 pin Apple connector that lets me play my 160 GB iPod through the factory system. I never did try to hook up my CD Changer to that radio to see if it would interface. More shots to illustrate what I am talking about.

So I do have a question. In your engine bay shot what is that black box to the left of the yellow sticker behind your AC drier? I always wonder why the air boxes on European Version are different too.
PM me your email address. Somebody else asked me for dimensions and more detailed shots of the cargo cover. Cause they wanted to make one too. So I can just forward that to you and hopefully will be enough info for you to work with.






Rcjcpt is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 02:52 PM
  #10  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,094
Default

Originally Posted by Rcjcpt View Post
Thanks for reply. I looked up the black box details however forgot. It has no wires attached currently so not sure what is does or supposed to do.
how do I pm my email address?
If you are on a computer if you left click on my name a box will open up.
Left click send a private message too and it should be self explanatory from there.
If you are doing this on a phone or tablet not a clue.
Ralph77 is online now  
Old 02-18-2019, 08:49 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
RockinRonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Evart,Mich.
Posts: 558
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Welcome to the site Rob !

nice looking XJ!
RockinRonnie is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MannyLedezma
Introductions
9
07-12-2011 04:08 PM
wiestika
Introductions
7
02-20-2011 09:53 AM
karekeuster
Introductions
5
01-10-2011 10:25 AM
mycroftxxx
Introductions
4
08-19-2009 01:07 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hello


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: