First time Jeep owner here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Red face First time Jeep owner here!

Hi everyone!

We just bought our first Jeep this evening. It's a 1992 Cherokee Laredo 4x4. It's a Black Beauty. IT does have quite a bit of miles on it (238k) but I'm hoping this Jeep will last us for the next couple years or longer. It has a little bit of wear and tear, but over all seems in solid condition. It drove nice, well as smooth as a truck/suv can be. LOL. It seems to run pretty well engine wise for it's age and the millage.

It's a little stiff going over bumps, but I'm expecting that to be the case with most suv/trucks. The breaks need to be looked at up front cause they seem to not grip as well as I'd like. I have to really push down on them to get the truck to fully stop (they are power breaks though). So the pads may be wearing down or it needs to be adjusted for better contact or something.

It needs both lifter arms on the back hatch, that will get annoying quick till it gets fixed. I will be doing that soon (ebay have a couple sets listed for cheap, or I'll go to the junk yard in hopes I find some working ones there).

The driver window doesn't go up or down. The motor works but I think the piece that holds the window is broken. Anyone have a detailed step by step on how to change power window parts? I don't want to pay a mechanic for it if I don't have to.

It recently had the following done to it:
- new radiator
- new windshield
- new vent glass on driver side window, just needs new rubber and handle reattached
- new cat converter
- new exhaust
- paint went from silver to black a year and half ago
- back break pads done end of last year

What it needs:
- rear wiper needs to be fixed or replaced, just hangs, ugh
- back bumper is hanging a little on each side
- engine needs to be de-greased, ew. If needed I will take a pic and ask everyone advice on how to clean it or if I should be worried
- front breaks need to be checked
- tinting on back windows REALLY needs to be peeled off. Starting to bubble on the hatch window. I hate it.
- headliner is sagging a bit so we need to figure out how to get it to stay up, like what spray glue can we use to reattach or whatever.
- needs a vacuuming

Not bad for $1200! Got him down from $1950 so now we have that much more to put into it...well, after we get a couple more paychecks anyway.

I plan to take a few pics today of things I'm concerned about and will post them later.

We will be here a lot I'm sure asking all kinds of questions. There are a few little things we want to try and fix ourselves. I've included a couple photos from the ad, we will take some current ones after we give it a nice bath and vacuum/shampoo the inside.

So if any of you have this year/style Jeep and can offer some tips and ideas for better upgrades, please let us know!

I look forward to getting to know everyone! Thanks for reading

Last edited by Kristel; 06-23-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Good looking Jeep.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

looks to be in pretty good shape for havin 238k. hows it run?

oh an congrats on the purchase.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by MasterShakeXJ
looks to be in pretty good shape for havin 238k. hows it run?

oh an congrats on the purchase.
Thanks! It seems to run pretty well for it's age and the millage.

It's a little stiff going over bumps, but I'm expecting that to be the case with most suv/trucks. The breaks need to be looked at up front cause they seem to not grip as well as I'd like. I have to really push down on them to get the truck to fully stop (they are power breaks though). So the pads may be wearing down or it needs to be adjusted for better contact or something.

It needs both lifter arms on the back hatch, that will get annoying quick till it gets fixed. I will be doing that soon (ebay have a couple sets listed for cheap, or I'll go to the junk yard in hopes I find some working ones there).

The driver window doesn't go up or down. The motor works but I think the piece that holds the window is broken. Anyone have a detailed step by step on how to change power window parts? I don't want to pay a mechanic for it if I don't have to.

It recently had the following done to it:
- new radiator
- new windshield
- new vent glass on driver side window, just needs new rubber and handle reattached
- new cat converter
- new exhaust
- paint went from silver to black a year and half ago
- back break pads done end of last year

What it needs:
- rear wiper needs to be fixed or replaced, just hangs, ugh
- back bumper is hanging a little on each side
- engine needs to be de-greaced, ew. If needed I will take a pic and ask everyone advice on how to clean it or if I should be worried
- front breaks need to be checked
- tinting on back windows REALLY needs to be peeled off. Starting to bubble on the hatch window. I hate it.
- headliner is sagging a bit so we need to figure out how to get it to stay up, like what spray glue can we use to reattach or whatever.
- needs a vacuuming

Not bad for $1200! Got him down from $1950 so now we have that much more to put into it...well, after we get a couple more paychecks anyway.

I plan to take a few pics today of things I'm concerned about and will post them later. Sorry for typing so much. LOL. I'll copy/paste this to my original post too
Old 06-23-2009, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Good looking Jeep.
Thanks so much! She is very pretty
Old 06-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to CF from COS!!
Old 06-23-2009, 08:51 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4 banger....my ***

Originally Posted by Kristel
The breaks need to be looked at up front cause they seem to not grip as well as I'd like. I have to really push down on them to get the truck to fully stop (they are power breaks though). So the pads may be wearing down or it needs to be adjusted for better contact or something.
No thats all of them! mine is like that too. The best way to help braking on an XJ is to convert the rear to disks. Nice looking Jeep, welcome from IN!
Old 06-23-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by FlexdXJ
No thats all of them! mine is like that too.
Oh well thats definitely good to know. I thought there was issues with them

Also, not to sound stupid but whats does XJ stand for? I keep seeing it everywhere but don't know what it actually means. Yes, I'm THAT new to Jeep lingo LOL
Old 06-23-2009, 09:06 PM

Also, not to sound stupid but whats does XJ stand for? I keep seeing it everywhere but don't know what it actually means. Yes, I'm THAT new to Jeep lingo LOL

You should have them checked though just in case. I'd hate to be wrong and you get in an accident. Oh and at 238k you have a good 100k of life in her yet. The good news is that engines and transmissions for them are dirt cheap! XJ is the body code that they used at the factory to tell the models apart. The XJ is 84-01 Cherokee, ZJ is 93-98 grand cherokee, WJ is 99-04 grand cherokee, YJ is 88-95/96 Wrangler and TJ is 97-06 wrangler. There are several more those are just off the top of my head

Last edited by FlexdXJ; 06-23-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by FlexdXJ
You should have them checked though just in case. I'd hate to be wrong and you get in an accident. Oh and at 238k you have a good 100k of life in her yet. The good news is that engines and transmissions for them are dirt cheap! XJ is the body code that they used at the factory to tell the models apart.
Yeah we plan to get lots of things checked out soon just for peace of mind.

And good to know that the motor/trans are not too expensive. I guess it just comes down to the cost of getting them put in. We are no where near knowledgeable for that and don't know any one that is mechanically sound that would do it for us (except my mechanic but then there goes the savings in labor cost).

Thanks for all the answers. Everyone on this forum so far seems so nice and ready to help one another out. This is great. I'm glad I found it online.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:24 PM

Yeah we plan to get lots of things checked out soon just for peace of mind.

And good to know that the motor/trans are not too expensive. I guess it just comes down to the cost of getting them put in. We are no where near knowledgeable for that and don't know any one that is mechanically sound that would do it for us (except my mechanic but then there goes the savings in labor cost).

Thanks for all the answers. Everyone on this forum so far seems so nice and ready to help one another out. This is great. I'm glad I found it online.
another good thing about the 4.0L engine and AW4 transmission(assuming its an auto) is that they are pretty much bulletproof! Happy Wheeling!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

welcome from west virginia
Old 06-23-2009, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Here you go. Sticky: Acronyms
Helpful Links!!! - Jeep Cherokee Forum
Old 06-24-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Very useful, thank you so much!
Old 06-24-2009, 06:46 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Welcome! Great to hear just how long a jeep cherokee can go. You made a good choice with a cherokee, hope it keeps on rollin'!
-Tim

Quick Reply: First time Jeep owner here!