Finally got an XJ and boy 'ave I got plans...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Finally got an XJ and boy 'ave I got plans...

First things first: I'm from Greenville, SC so please do say something if that means anything to you!

I'm sure this is supposed to be a short post but I figured I had to deliver with a title like that...

Growing up my dad had two different things with four wheels. A turbo Volvo station wagon and a J10 that was as he put it "built to the hilt". This is important because naturally many (not that many) years ago when I was looking for my first car the thought of getting a Jeep or really anything I could go adventuring in was pretty appealing.

...on the other hand i'd grown up on a steady diet of the details of racing and stories of driving fast cars and wanted something I could drive for fun on asphalt....I wound up getting a Volvo 240 and well if you want to make a 240 fast you've got to know a thing or two and I didn't know one thing much less two but it did launch me into a torrid swedish love affair that's ruined my life, turned me into a professional mechanic working at a Eurocar shop for a few years now, and caused me (caused me...not my fault see) to end up with let's see now four or five different Volvos? (look me up on Turbobricks my user name is the same I never post but I do exist)

However...before I wound up in a shotgun marriage with a two door 240, and even before the 88 244 that was my real "first car" I did try to buy a $600 XJ with my step dad...we got it home but it was not in any shape for us to deal with and I was still a few years off from taking the "okay i'm gonna take apart a car gotta learn somehow" plunge so it went back to the very understanding previous owner...it left a mark though because I've always noticed XJ's and always knew when I finally got a jeep it'd be one of those.

Anyway, here it is...it's green like all my favorite cars..
It's a 98 4x4 4.0 with a 5 speed...took me forever to finally find one that was right, and it was pretty to boot.

Anyway I gave you all of that exposition and never actually delivered on the "plans" part. Maybe you say well that's obvious, you're going to go all sorts of interesting places, you're gonna camp your *** off, you're gonna spend money on parts...but no! Well yes, but no.

See...that job I mentioned earlier, well my last day is the last day of fall which is uh coming right on up just a week away. After that? My plans are to make this thing into some kind of tetris miracle of a shop on wheels.

Planning to work with a good friend of mine has been working as a mobile mechanic out of a sprinter van for the past few years, we've done a fair bit of work together (he used to work for my current boss) and I've worked out of his van with him a lot too. I can even claim that I helped him out some when he was first rigging it up!...mostly watched but hey I've got a good eye.

I'm halfway thinking I'll call myself "GOAT" for "GO Anywhere Technican"
It's pretty crazy but if you've read this much you might think that's fair

Anyway I'll try to post plenty of pictures, I'm gonna try to make a killer rig. Sure i'm making a work vehicle but I also like to think of it was the ultimate "I'm gonna get there and so are the other cars with me" rig and I've always thought that was a super cool idea

In my long months of searching for an XJ I lurked this place a lot reading cool builds and advice for what to get and what to look out for, it's a great place and thanks to everyone!