Elementary Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Elementary Question

I'm new to the site and soon to be new to XJ. Been doing lots of research, including here and other forums. Looked at various lift kits, stock Cherokees, and those in various stages of completion.

One question I haven't seen answered directly is:

What happens to street manners and highway driveablity with lift kits?

1. I plan to drive up to 500 highway miles at a stretch, possibly pulling a small boat or a couple quads.

2. I want a very capable hunting rig that can handle snow and accept tire chains if necessary. I'm not into crawling but can do some heavy trail riding, including some rocky stuff - nothing like I've seen some of you hard core folks do though!

3. Two units in particular I'm looking at:
a. 4.5" Rough Country short arm. CV driveline, SYE and all the right mods for that setup. 31" x 10.50 w/stock gears. I hear you on the rough ride and some opinions on the RC. This one is done right for what it is.
b. 5.5" Rubicon Express (I think it's a short arm) w/4.56 w/33 x 10.50s, OX electric locker, etc. Also appears to be done 'right'.

Are either of these suitable for speeds of 70mph or so over a long haul?
Would that drive be uncomfortable or unsafe?

I'm also looking at some stock XJs but absolutely love the look of the lifted units with all the trick goodies, of course.

So, should I redirect my focus toward more mild builds?
I know it's subjective, but am interested in experienced opinions.

Thanks.. I'll keep reading.

Gary
Old 09-02-2012, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

Go with b.

stock gears on 31s will be hell trying to go 70 and maintain it.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

And what's the asking prices?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by DieselD
Go with b.

stock gears on 31s will be hell trying to go 70 and maintain it.
I'd probably re-gear to 4.10 fairly soon

I'm most concerned with handling safely and comfort (noise, etc.) on the highway with the lifts. I understand these aren't sports cars or even close to stock but how severe are the changes.

Both these units are VERY clean, well maintained and leak free (I'm told - I have to travel a considerable distance to get a test drive).

a. $4500. Stock exterior, no aftermarket parts other than suspension.

b. $8500.
This Jeep is very clean inside and out. This does not leak any oil and it does not overheat. It has power windows and door locks as well as keyless entry and air conditioning. It comes with a Rubicon 5.5" Lift, Biltsein Shocks, electric front OX locker, slip yoke eliminator on transfer case and cv driveline, custom front and rear bumpers, fender flares, regeared to 4.56 front and rear, 33" BFG all terrains, high lift jack with tire gate and spare tire. Also has CB mounted radio and sirius satellite radio.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

As far as safety and handling on the road goes. I'd go with a stock one and lifting it no more than 3" and sticking with 30" all terrains.

It'd be very capable. And not sacrifice as much handling and stability.

I have a 91 and before it was totaled it was my dd. It had a 4" lift, short arms, full leaf pack, crappy white shocks. On 31" master craft MTs, tow package 3.73s

It was definitely rough. And I didn't really realize it until I bought a 99 and drove it stock. Waay nicer on the highway. Maintained speed a lot better.

If you're planning 500 mile trips hauling a boat. I'd keep it mild. Just took my 99 on a 1500 mile trip to VA Beach. I couldn't imagine doing that in my 91.

I'm rambling buy point is I'd keep it mild for what you want to do.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the input!

If I were to get the XJ with the 4.5" Rough Country short arm and can't stand the rough ride I hear about & don't want to re-gear to 4.10 for highway cruising would the SYE and Woods CV rear driveshaft be an issue if I wanted to move "down" to a 3" or so lift. In other words, would the shorter suspension cause a pinion angle problem with the CV shaft setup that's on the rig?
I'll bet not too many folks go from tall to short.. seems from my reading that they go the other way in most cases.. but then they're looking at crawling..

Of course, I'll be asking which of the 'smaller' kits are best. I will do some reading and make my judgement (with more input, I hope). I'll probably drive it the way it sits with the RC for a season, add my bolt on goodies over the winter and get ready for suspension changes in the Spring. That way I'll feel the difference in setups.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Welcome from Wisconsin, I myself would buy a stock Xj at the best price and lowest mileage, in the best condition. With the options you desire. (Having a lift doesn't increase value) and lift it yourself if you wish. That way you are not taking on other peoples problems. as for lifts, I would go with 2-3" Old man Emu, They are the best for retaining ride and comfort. The XJ's you listed seemed a bit high priced.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

You seem to have good advice above. I might add that people usually sell modified vehicles for a reason, it doesn't add to their value, and most of the time they've been abused.

Name:  DansSig.gif
Views: 23
Size:  1.80 MB
Old 09-04-2012, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

If you want a capable rig but still have good on road/highway handling get long arms. A good long arm kit with good shocks will ride better than stock.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 AM

It's looking like I'll be getting the '99 w/RC 4.5". Will find out Fri/Sat.
All depends on what I see and how it feels. I'll drive it through the hunting season and the winter then make decisions on whether to scrap the RC short arm, upgrade to RC long arm, or scrap the lift and start over. That should give me time for more research.
Talked on the phone with a couple guys with the RC 4.5 S/A kit and they report no issues.
Prices are a bit high but both units I'm considering are desert XJs (Read: no rust). Been looking awhile and stock units in very good cond. and high miles (150k+) are asking $5-7k.. don't know that they're getting it but anything lower is gone in hours. I'm 4 hours from the closest metro area out here so it's tough to run to see them.

Thanks for the input, I'll look forward to more if it's out there.

P.S. I've added one pic of the '99 I'm trailering home this weekend (if it's what I expect).

Last edited by NOTNSUV; 09-05-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 09-05-2012, 09:39 AM

Default Photo

Photo.. if it works. Hope this isn't breaking any rules.
Attached Thumbnails Elementary Question-black-cherokee.jpg  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Looks good. RC isn't known for it's ride quality, or any kind of quality for that matter...
Old 09-05-2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by sthon
Looks good. RC isn't known for it's ride quality, or any kind of quality for that matter...
Guess I'll find out.. been reading a lot about them and I see some folks HATE RC while others like them. Nothing done here can't be re-done/improved or undone. Stock parts come with it. At least the SYE and Tom Woods CV DL are in place.
I'll be asking if 'upgrade' to RC long arm and shakle relocation kit might greatly improve ride Q?

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Great looking Cherokee
Old 09-06-2012, 04:47 PM
CF Veteran

Upgrading to long arms would help. Again I would stay away from RC.

Quick Reply: Elementary Question