'96 XJ from NY

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '96 XJ from NY

Whats up guys! I recently joined this forum to find some answers. I bought my '96 2 year's ago for $1,000. It currently has 189k trouble free miles.

I've come here to research what I should do with my Jeep. My parents moved away taking my dad's Jeep that I used to rely on for a trailer hitch and roof rack that my Jeep currently doesn't have. I'm deciding if my jeep is worth putting the money into or buying a new one.

I ride my motorcycle's most of the year and just need something for the winter and to be able to tow my bike trailer and a roof rack for my kayak.

I'm thinking even if the engine dies and I get a new one and keep the body in shape, it would be a lot cheaper then buying a new Jeep. I'm doing lots of research finding out my best option.

What it needs right now is shocks,roof rack and trailer hitch. So I'll be doing a lot of reading to find out if its worth doing.

here's a pic after I started painting it. Needs to be finished.
Attached Thumbnails '96 XJ from NY-001.jpg  
Old 04-14-2013, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum
Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

Welcome to the site, where in NY are you from? I'm on Fort Drum, NY. Btw, I did my shocks a few months ago for $101 and got a roof rack off craigslist. Mine came with a trailer hitch but they are cheap at junkyards or craigslist. Even Walmart sells a Class 3 hitch for Cherokees. These are pretty cheap to own and maintain.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:06 PM

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0

welcome i am in the utica area if it is not a rot box then worth keeping
Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by rmoore1031
Welcome to the site, where in NY are you from? I'm on Fort Drum, NY. Btw, I did my shocks a few months ago for $101 and got a roof rack off craigslist. Mine came with a trailer hitch but they are cheap at junkyards or craigslist. Even Walmart sells a Class 3 hitch for Cherokees. These are pretty cheap to own and maintain.
I'm in Syracuse. I've been checking craigslist for a while but no good roof racks yet. I should check the local pick and pull. and thank you for your service!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by 01xjcny
welcome i am in the utica area if it is not a rot box then worth keeping
Its not too bad. A little rust below the door and on the bottom. Frame still looks good. Of course I could fix all that. We just got 6 months of non stop road salt so there arnt many cars around here that are more then 5 years old without some rust.
Its not so much a question of keeping it, but how much should I put into it. Even if I did get a new one, theres no reason to sell it for the $1,000 I'd get for it. But if I keep it I'm going to have to dump some money into it, which I don't mind doing if its worth it.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site