Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZJ Fog lights- Possible? even worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Lightbulb ZJ Fog lights- Possible? even worth it?

I was wondering about this. For one thing, my XJ has factory fog but they don't work, so I've no idea what the output of the factory ones are.

The factory ZJ lights look pretty similar, if not a hair bigger. The mount is different but I'm sure that could be modified to work.

I'm not sure on the connectors, but they look similar, they might hook up. If not that shouldn't be a difficult change either.

But there's the real question- they are still sealed beams, you can't just pop in a new bulb for better output. Lights get worse with ag and sealed beams are especially bad, it seems. Even at a factory fresh state though, did the ZJ lamps have any advantage to the XJ ones?
Old 07-19-2017, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The one thing I do know is that some year ZJ's, '96 to '98 maybe, have the same connector. I put factory fogs in my XJ that did not come with them and stole the connectors to do the job from a ZJ. Thing is not sure of the year I grabbed them from.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

I'm not familiar with the ZJ fogs but I'm willing to bet they're equally useless as the XJ ones.

The factory fog light switches often melt which cause them to not work. I went through about six of them before finding one that was not melted. I suggest jumping your lights directly to the battery to see if they work or not.

I wired up some aftermarket fogs and ran them on their own circuit with a relay, completely eliminating the factory wiring. This way there is less voltage drop between the battery and the lights which makes them brighter and also does not bring a hot lead into the cab.

If you're looking for some extra lighting at night I suggest wiring up some driving lights opposed to fogs. The beam pattern on the fogs are made for fog (who would've guessed) which means they throw light low and wide but only directly in front of the vehicle. Actual purpose build driving lights will have a much more useful beam pattern.

Actually, forget what I just said right there. Look into the H4 lighting conversion. Cheap, easy upgraded headlights.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:47 PM
Seasoned Member

I've already installed a harness for my headlights and am planning to soon get Ecode housings for the H4 conversion.

I guess I was mistaken, for I had assumed the fog lights were wired better than the headlights, and used the relays under the hood and only used the interior switch to activate the relays like the putco harness does.

I was considering just putting in hella driving lights on my own rig, but was curious about the ZJ/XJ fog swap possibilities. I was thinking I could just use the factory wiring and switch to run aftermarker aux lights but looks like that idea isn't so good, if it bottlenecks the voltages as bad as the headlights where and puts all the power to the switch in the cab.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Just FYI, after measuring the XJ fogs at about 5.75" x 2.5", i see the ZJ fogs are seemingly the same dimensions. the plug looks the same as well from photos ive seen.

thus id be willing to assume they are probably not going to differ greatly in performance.