Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ Front End Strengthener & Skid Plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l IL6
Default XJ Front End Strengthener & Skid Plate

I am looking for some opinions/thoughts on this skid plate. Looking for people who have or have ran it, or even the stock skid.

I am looking for a little splash protection. I know it won't fully protect my engine bay from mud splash, most things cant, even the rubber engine splash guard that came stock. I am trying to avoid the high pressure jet directly into my alternator, when I have to do a higher speed into a pit for momentum. I know the best solution is to relocate the alternator, and that is on the list.

If I bury the XJ up the engine bay this skid won't stop mud and sand ingress. Has anybody ever had this skid and had to get pulled backwards? Did it shove mud/sand/snow right into the engine bay like a scoop?

I have never had any problems hitting my upper suspension components on trees or things (not many rocks in Michigan, but they do exist), but you can't always have an ideal line through obstacles and it can happen.

I don't know how good the claim of stiffening really is, I am sure it will help a little, but I already have steel bumpers, with tie-in, and cross members for track bar (RE)

From my research the Rusty's and the OEM skid don't always work with aftermarket/ ZJ V8 tie rods, also they do not work with sway bar spacers found on some discos (RE, Rough Country)

I found this info on the various forums, and found a lot of people selling them. I was just wondering if anybody had real experiences to share.