Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wrangler fender flares on cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default wrangler fender flares on cherokee

I had an idea yeasterday after i saw a wrangler. I was thinking bout going to a junk yard n taking the fender flares of a wrangler n putting them on my cherokee cuz there alot wider but im just wondering how theyd look and how they match up compared to the wrangler
Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, they look like poo on an XJ and they do not match any of the body lines.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by hardcorecherokee
I had an idea yeasterday after i saw a wrangler. I was thinking bout going to a junk yard n taking the fender flares of a wrangler n putting them on my cherokee cuz there alot wider but im just wondering how theyd look and how they match up compared to the wrangler

2 pairs of rear Wrangler flares. You decide for yourself.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:09 PM

thanks station wagon i like how they look on your xj, i think im gona pick some up off a salvaged wrangler at the junk yard. did u just use sheet metal screws to hold em on?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: chrysler 4.0

I have the front flares off a TJ on my 99XJ. I've never been told they look like poo or they look bad or anything like that, always been complimented on them by cherokee and wrangler guys just the same. It's a cheap way to put wider fenders on an XJ thats for sure i got the side marker lights in mine and all too. The body lines match up good as well too, besides it's a jeep not a stream lined sports car. I'll try to post some pics of mine.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors
Default like this

i think its better with allrears
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2011, 06:34 PM

I stand corrected, station wagon has a nice setup. I more dislike the front fender with the side marker, thats my only real complaint. It just does not belong there and to me looks out of place. Sure for some its what they want and more power to ya. I did not mean to offend. I digress.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

went with TJ fronts on the front and rears on the rear. I did however trim them more than StationWagon so they don't go to the bottom of the fender. I've only had one person say they don't like 'em.
complete.jpg?t=1301442277
Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

thanks station wagon i like how they look on your xj, i think im gona pick some up off a salvaged wrangler at the junk yard. did u just use sheet metal screws to hold em on?
Y'know, I've never seen a Wrangler at any junk yard I have ever gone to!

But I digress ... In answer to your question: the fronts are held on by bolts with washers so they don't back themselves out. The rears are held on by 3M tape - and they were on there for about 3 years before I had to dig them off to add body armor. But I remounted them with new tape. Didn't want to drill into the body.

As for the front TJ flares on an XJ front - not intended to bash anyone but I can't get used to seeing 2 side markers next to each other. Doesn't make sense to me!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_

But I digress ... In answer to your question: the fronts are held on by bolts with washers so they don't back themselves out. The rears are held on by 3M tape - and they were on there for about 3 years before I had to dig them off to add body armor. But I remounted them with new tape. Didn't want to drill into the body.

As for the front TJ flares on an XJ front - not intended to bash anyone but I can't get used to seeing 2 side markers next to each other. Doesn't make sense to me!
Ya id have to agree finding a jeep in a junk yard is gonna be tricky but thats the only place i could really get cheep fender flares well c how it goes tho
Old 03-30-2011, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L I6

Ya id have to agree finding a jeep in a junk yard is gonna be tricky but thats the only place i could really get cheep fender flares well c how it goes tho
I found one in a junk yard but I need to find another one lol
Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

preference, preference, preference. i agree that some of the lines and overall look on the wrangler fenders dont quite match the vehicles profile. having said that, there is something to the inventiveness, and cost-effectiveness. i can appreciate being able to spend little to no moneys on an improvment. and, there is clearly different combinations of fenders, wether thats using all rear fenders, or something of the like that might give you "the look". this isnt the worst budget upgrade ive seen and while we are talking fenders, have you seen these bad *** mother****ers before, id love to have a set:

http://icelandoffroad.com/CherokeeXJ...S/Default.aspx

cot damn! so hot. these things are virtually indestructable! (i have no affiliation with icelandoffroad, but i wish i did!)
Old 03-30-2011, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree, that's why I ran the lights to the markers in the flares and the original ones are getting filled with fiberglass and painted to match the body. I'm making it so it's like they were never there.