Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wj knuckle swap question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Wj knuckle swap question

When doing the wj crossover steering on a xj can u use the wj draglink and tierod also with it or no?
Old 03-25-2016, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Don't quote me on this but I think it's a no. I believe the width of the axles is different. I've been doing a good amount of research on this because I would like to do the WJ swap. The steering is something that there isn't a ton of info on because everybody does it a little different.

JKS makes drag links and tie rods that are the proper length and tapped to accept factory WJ tre's.

Another question to throw out there, how strong are the WJ tre's? Worth using or no? With the WJ tre's I don't think the tie rod could be flipped otk though because the tapers on the knuckle go the wrong way.

I was thinking the jks drag link with WJ tre's and a DOM tie rod with one ton tre's, probably from ruffstuff. The issue there becomes the tre's will probably have to be ground down to fit 15" wheels (as well as the calipers).

So if the tre's need to be ground down is it even worth using one ton tre's? Is there another tre that is large enough to be flipped OTK but won't have to be ground down to fit with this conversion?

Sorry to add questions to your thread but this is a big topic with a lot of variables.

Edit: just did a quick search. The factory WJ drag link and tie rod both go to the bottom of the knuckles, so you can't use WJ tre's if you want to flip them? Or could you drill and use inserts?

Last edited by XJlimitedx99; 03-25-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Teraflex makes a WJ knuckle for the XJ that retains the XJ calipers and upper ball joint. Makes the cross over steering a bit easier without having to do both knuckles, unit bearing spacers, and upper all joints. But you also don't get the benefit of bigger brakes.