Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring up some lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Default Wiring up some lights

I was recently given two 3x5 Per-Lux 500 lights. I don't know much about them. They didn't come with any wiring except the two wires sticking out if the back of the lights. Any ideas in where to get the wiring that would be needed to instal? And is there any way to test the lights before I go gung ho installing them?
Old 01-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: Inline Six

To test the lights you can touch one wire to the positive battery terminal and the other wire to the Jeeps frame or negative battery terminal. That will turn on the light. For the wire, you can get it at any local hardware store. The size you will need can vary though depending on the length of the wire ran and the expected max amps run through the system. Here is a chart describing the relationship between the distance, amount of amps, and the wire size.

Wiring up some lights-ab662b79-8fab-4c1b-b843-e160e90ae224-2580-0000028b88eb1c68.jpg

Also in my build thread, I have mounted KC lights on the roof of my XJ and have shown how I ran the wiring system.

Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2014, 01:10 PM

In that case I will be testing them as soon as I finis cleaning them up. And I will definitely be checking out your thread when I have some time.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:23 PM

One problem... Which is the positive and ground?
Attached Thumbnails Wiring up some lights-image-641036233.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 01:35 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Matts Jeep
I'm not sure that it matters on that type of light bulb because the element itself completes the circuit right? (Somebody chime in I may be in over my head)..

.. But to be sure I would look up the manufacture the lights, how to wire etc..
Old 01-11-2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by lostbuckaroo

I'm not sure that it matters on that type of light bulb because the element itself completes the circuit right? (Somebody chime in I may be in over my head)..

.. But to be sure I would look up the manufacture the lights, how to wire etc..
I was thinking the same thing. Especially because there is no distinctions what to ever on the differences between the wires. Same size, color, and connector. I'm doing research right now on them. I hadn't heard of this brand so I'm learning.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:01 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by lostbuckaroo

I'm not sure that it matters on that type of light bulb
This.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:11 PM

Took one of the lights out and got it to flicker on and off a few times by touching the wires to the battery terminals. So they do work, which is really good!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Seasoned Member

It shouldn't matter. As long as you have it in a complete circuit, it should be fine. Glad to hear they are working!
Old 01-11-2014, 03:28 PM

Now that I know they work. It's off to town to get some wire and whatever else I need. A switch for sure. Then will I need a fuse somewhere in there? Electrical isn't my favorite but I understand the basics of it. Run wires from the battery to the switch then to the lights?
Old 01-11-2014, 05:37 PM

Picked this up after dealing with inexperienced people at the auto parts store for about 15 minutes. I want to go wire it all up right now but it's raining pretty good
Old 01-11-2014, 05:38 PM

Forgot to put the pic
Attached Thumbnails Wiring up some lights-image-2873142310.jpg   Wiring up some lights-image-1806760748.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 08:39 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

My experience with some kits is that the fuse is in an odd place. The fuse should be as close to the battery as possible. "Where" you ask? As close to the battery as possible! Just so that if something ever grounds out etc. you don't have a looooong live wire running through your jeep. Probably should take about a couple of hours to wire up. Good luck! I just did some auxiliary lighting today, so let me know if you need some ideas.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Now that I know they work. It's off to town to get some wire and whatever else I need. A switch for sure. Then will I need a fuse somewhere in there? Electrical isn't my favorite but I understand the basics of it. Run wires from the battery to the switch then to the lights?
I placed a main fuse box under the steering column for most of my wiring. I have a control panel that hangs from the ceiling with several switches in it. All of their fuses are in the fuse box. I then have a fuse in the main wire that feeds the box. I matched the fuse that feeds the box, to the max rating the fuse box has. Heres a pic of the box. If you end up wanting one they should be supplied at Napa.

Wiring up some lights-dscn1070.jpg
Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ineedabeer
My experience with some kits is that the fuse is in an odd place. The fuse should be as close to the battery as possible. "Where" you ask? As close to the battery as possible! Just so that if something ever grounds out etc. you don't have a looooong live wire running through your jeep. Probably should take about a couple of hours to wire up. Good luck! I just did some auxiliary lighting today, so let me know if you need some ideas.
I figured spending most of tomorrow on it. I have some Detours a pillar brackets that I plan on pitting them on. Going to install those at the same time. I haven't seen any pictures with these style lights on those brackets so we will see how it looks. I will keep that In mind about having the fuse close to the battery.

Quick Reply: Wiring up some lights