Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring extra lights to high beams

Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 IL6 H.O.
Default Wiring extra lights to high beams

hey guys, I looked around for a little while and couldn't find what i was looking for so i figured I'd post a new thread, and if someone knows of one in existence that will answer my questions, just post the link!
here's the deal, I have a 95 Cherokee sport, i want to wire up extra lights so that they turn on when i turn my high beams on, and turn off when my high beams are off. here's my idea: when i upgrade lighting im planning on upgrading housings, bulbs, and the wiring harness. now the original harnesses that went to the bulbs function as messengers now simply telling the new harness what to do. can it be as simple as splicing in the power and ground wires to the high beam and ground wire on the original harness? then theoretically the aux lights would receive power when power is sent through the high beam wire right?
Hope i worded this clearly enough for others to understand, feel free to ask any questions, thanks a lot!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

You'd want to run the new lights on a relay and use the power wire for your high beams as the trigger for the relay. The wiring in our stock headlight systems isn't even adequate at best and will not handle even more lights being added in to the system. You'll fry your wiring or headlight switch. I went through two switches with just upgraded headlight bulbs before I realized I should up grade the harness and add in relays for my headlights.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

x2 but maybe if you were adding a couple led lights . they might work easier with the factory wiring