Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wider not taller

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default wider not taller

I have a 3" lift on my xj with stock size tires and was wondering if i could get wider but keep the same height of tires? And does anyone have pics of anything like i described
Old 03-15-2011, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

3.5" lift, 31x10.5-15 on stock jeep 7" rim, 1.25 spydertrax wheel spacers, no rub (now) on the lower control arms at full lock, can stuff the tires and not trear off the stock fender flares.
Attached Thumbnails wider not taller-img_1447.jpg   wider not taller-img_1043.jpg   wider not taller-img_1045.jpg  
Old 03-15-2011, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Im running a 3.5" lift and in this pic its kind of hard to tell but my tires stick out about 1-2"s outside of the fender flare and im running 31x10.5's. I have wheels with a backspacing of 3.5"s which is a good amount of offset and makes them sit out real wide. But as stated above you can run spacers but i dont think they look near as cool as deep dish wheels and you run more of a chance of snapping the studs off with some hardcore off-roading, trust me i've seen it done.lol But if your on a tight budget they are a ton cheaper than new wheels. I'll try to get better pics tomorrow and show what mine sits like with a better angle.

PS. With the tires sticking out wider and no mud flaps you can assure yourself there will be no washing with any water on the ground cuz it flings right up the side of your jeep with one little water puddle.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

but its also the other way around when your jeeps muddy and it rains haha, i would know ive got no fender flares, 12.5 wide tires and 3.5 backspacing haha, ive got more tire outside of the fender well then inside, but surprisingly it looks really good
Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

but its also the other way around when your jeeps muddy and it rains haha, i would know ive got no fender flares, 12.5 wide tires and 3.5 backspacing haha, ive got more tire outside of the fender well then inside, but surprisingly it looks really good
Ya i know what you mean if i took my flares off, my tires would stick half way out of the fenders, and i just have 10.5's. By the time june-july comes im hoping to get a set of 12.5's and really let the mud/water fling

This is what you get when your tires stick outside of your flares, and i didnt turn or jack it around in the mud just drove slow and steady down the driveway...would have been a lot muddier if it wasn't my gf's parents driveway, i would've tore that driveway up
Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

the cool thing is when your driving in the the rain and theres just fountains coming off your tires, mine is so bad at night when i look in my side mirrors i cant see anything behind me cause its all just red from my tail lights reflecting off all the water being kicked up haha
Old 03-15-2011, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

the cool thing is when your driving in the the rain and theres just fountains coming off your tires, mine is so bad at night when i look in my side mirrors i cant see anything behind me cause its all just red from my tail lights reflecting off all the water being kicked up haha
Ya i noticed that driving downtown when the snow was melting and the streets where covered in water, everytime i go through it all i see out my side windows is water flying up off the tires, i love it Only part i dont love is haveing to wash my windows off every other day cuz i cant see out of them
Old 03-15-2011, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kyle 4x4 4life
Ya i noticed that driving downtown when the snow was melting and the streets where covered in water, everytime i go through it all i see out my side windows is water flying up off the tires, i love it Only part i dont love is haveing to wash my windows off every other day cuz i cant see out of them
oh yeah that gets annoying, whats worse is when you dont have any windshield wipers cause the wiper arms somehow destroyed the splines on the wiper motor haha, but some jb weld fixed that

but yeah its definitely an acquired look, some people dont like the flareless wide look cause its just a mess whenever you hit a drop of water on the road haha but i love it
Old 03-15-2011, 11:11 PM

Ya, I hate having my tires stick out so far. Went through a dirty puddle when the snow was melting, and ALL my windows are just caked with crap. It looks good though, haha.

Hey Kyle. What side of the state do you live on? I see hills in the background. You west river?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

oh yeah that gets annoying, whats worse is when you dont have any windshield wipers cause the wiper arms somehow destroyed the splines on the wiper motor haha, but some jb weld fixed that

but yeah its definitely an acquired look, some people dont like the flareless wide look cause its just a mess whenever you hit a drop of water on the road haha but i love it
Haha ya no wipers would definatly suck, i have to fill my wiper fluid up about twice a month just from road spray.lol And ya i have been thinking about ditching the flares, but dont want to until i get some bigger tires. Did you trim your fenders or just pull the flare's? O and running the 33's did you regear or still running stock gears? Just curious cuz i dont wanna regear if i dont HAVE to.lol

Ya, I hate having my tires stick out so far. Went through a dirty puddle when the snow was melting, and ALL my windows are just caked with crap. It looks good though, haha.

Hey Kyle. What side of the state do you live on? I see hills in the background. You west river?
Yep sure am west river...hot springs exactly, about an hour from rapid city.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:26 PM

Ya, I know where Hot Springs is. I'm in Rapid.

I'm on stock gears with 33's and it does pretty dang good still.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 PM
CF Veteran

Ya, I know where Hot Springs is. I'm in Rapid.

I'm on stock gears with 33's and it does pretty dang good still.
Wow finally someone local.lol And alright i want to go 33's but definatly dont wanna regear, i'd buy smaller tires before i regeared, just too expensive and i really have no absolute need for it...just really want them How about power wise did you lose much?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:52 PM

Honestly, The 33's I put on are lighter than the 31's I took off, and it drives alot better. Power wise, I can roast my 33's with ease. And on the trail in 4-lo it has plenty of slow speed crawling still. These 4.0's have so much torque it's crazy. But, my buddy threw 35's on his, and he's feeling it, haha.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 PM
CF Veteran

Honestly, The 33's I put on are lighter than the 31's I took off, and it drives alot better. Power wise, I can roast my 33's with ease. And on the trail in 4-lo it has plenty of slow speed crawling still. These 4.0's have so much torque it's crazy. But, my buddy threw 35's on his, and he's feeling it, haha.
Haha awesome thats exactly what i wanted to hear, so i changed my mind from 31x12.5's to 33x12.5's And ya on my old pickup i went from 33 to 35's and i wanted to shoot myself, the worst idea i ever had
Old 03-16-2011, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by dshall
I have a 3" lift on my xj with stock size tires and was wondering if i could get wider but keep the same height of tires? And does anyone have pics of anything like i described
1st option stock tires and wheels --> wheel spacer
2nd option --> aftermarket rims with 3-3.25" BS.

Quick Reply: wider not taller