Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has installed a nitrous oxide or evaporative charge air cooling system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default Who has installed a nitrous oxide or evaporative charge air cooling system?

I am thinking about installing a 75 wet shot in my 97 4.0, and just thought I wouldn't be the only one who would like a thread full of pictures of these systems!

PLEASE NOTE:

People tend to be very closed minded on this forum, and if you think nitrous oxide is a stupid idea for a jeep, please keep your opinion to yourself. You don't HAVE to read further if you don't want to.

Nitrous oxide CAN be a fun, effective performance booster when applied correctly and safely, and IT IS A GIVEN that ANY type of cooling/supplementary oxygen/boost will increase chamber pressure and lead to higher stresses within the engine and drivetrain. THIS IS NOT NEWS.

That said,
Constructive criticism only please.

So. Any juiced builds?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

juice likes to make bottom end parts explode, but like you said, you know that.

i think i remember seeing someone hook a dry shot up a looooong time ago, but thats it.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

I commend you on not referring to it as "nos". I think N2OJeep is/was spraying. Do you know the history of your jeep, my concern would be the previous owners maintenance or lack of.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by highvoltagefeathers
I am thinking about installing a 75 wet shot in my 97 4.0, and just thought I wouldn't be the only one who would like a thread full of pictures of these systems!

PLEASE NOTE:

People tend to be very closed minded on this forum, and if you think nitrous oxide is a stupid idea for a jeep, please keep your opinion to yourself. You don't HAVE to read further if you don't want to.

Nitrous oxide CAN be a fun, effective performance booster when applied correctly and safely, and IT IS A GIVEN that ANY type of cooling/supplementary oxygen/boost will increase chamber pressure and lead to higher stresses within the engine and drivetrain. THIS IS NOT NEWS.

That said,

So. Any juiced builds?
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A PLAN FOR HANDLING SUPPLEMENTAL FUEL DELIVERY - recall that NOS dissociates at high temperature, and that means you've got free oxygen and high temperatures. If you don't offer the oxygen something that burns easily, it will find something to burn!

If you're simply looking to reduce intake charge temperature, there's a better way to do it:

- Reroute the intake through a charge air cooler (like you'd use for a turbocharger setup.)
- Set up a sprayer setup using metal tubing (CRES preferred, copper acceptable. Small-bore OK - 1/16" or 1/8" is fine.) Fit it out with a CGA320 valve.
- Go to a carbonics outfit, and get a small (say, two-pound) CO2 tank set up as a "syphon" tank (drawing liquid off of the bottom.)
- Set it up with a cryogenic-rated solenoid valve (similar to what you'd use for NOS.)

What would happen is that you're set up to spray liquid CO2 onto the core of the charge air cooler - which pulls down the charge air temperature significantly. However, you're not adding oxygen to the setup in a significant amount - it's still within the ability of the fuel system to adjust trim, and it's not going to be so far "off" that you're endangering parts.

However, there's an advantage to the charge air cooling - and it's that you're not adding high-temperature free oxygen to the system!

I've used this sort of system to bring charge air temperatures to well below ambient in forced induction systems running boost pressures in excess of 2atm - so it's worth the trouble! And, it's both less risk to your engine and can be used whenever (NOS is generally only enabled at WOT - cryo cooling can be used whenever you like. You're only really limited by how much CO2 is available to the system - and you can always plumb in a manifold to add extra tanks.)
Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

BOOYAH!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:14 AM

Year: 96

ive actually had the opportunity to drive a 2000-2001 camaro ss six speed it took off like a bat outa h*** i was doing 70 and i had just pulled third. granted it had a stage three cam and modded exhaust along with a reprogrammed computer but once the camaro is at speed there is no way a jeep is gonna beat it like seriously my cherokee tops out at 100 lol or at least thats the fastest ive taken it. dont really trust it that fast either.
on a side note i thought of putting a turbo and 8 pounds of boost on mine but im gonna lift it instead and put a high end sound system in its cheaper by alot

Originally Posted by XJdryva
Old 03-27-2012, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jeeptunes
ive actually had the opportunity to drive a 2000-2001 camaro ss six speed it took off like a bat outa h*** i was doing 70 and i had just pulled third. granted it had a stage three cam and modded exhaust along with a reprogrammed computer but once the camaro is at speed there is no way a jeep is gonna beat it like seriously my cherokee tops out at 100 lol or at least thats the fastest ive taken it. dont really trust it that fast either.
on a side note i thought of putting a turbo and 8 pounds of boost on mine but im gonna lift it instead and put a high end sound system in its cheaper by alot
Ok well I actually have a bone stock 01 T/A and I can promise you if you take the doors off my XJ and spray the hell out of it on a 4 wheel launch, it will eat the TA alive. Those races in the video are from a stop and the one and only LS car racing it is a standard so the 4 wheel launch eats that thing up off the line so the guy just probably gave up. LT cars are just dog $hit slow so beating them was probably no prob. I'm sure roll races with the LS car would go differently....
Old 03-27-2012, 07:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: I-6 4.0 L

Ok well I actually have a bone stock 01 T/A and I can promise you if you take the doors off my XJ and spray the hell out of it on a 4 wheel launch, it will eat the TA alive. Those races in the video are from a stop and the one and only LS car racing it is a standard so the 4 wheel launch eats that thing up off the line so the guy just probably gave up. LT cars are just dog $hit slow so beating them was probably no prob. I'm sure roll races with the LS car would go differently....
This! People fail to understand our jeeps are animals. Racing, on a closed street before , I'll get my friends in their jetta every time to the 60ft mark. After that of course they'll pull. All this being done is 2wd. Also, kids make fun of the jeep say its slow and they wanna race it. I tell them to pick the distance and I get the location. They say 1/8 of a mile and I say the dirt/mud field; they forfeit every time. Clearly, OP, you know the dangers of this. So, I have seen N2O do some amazing things in races and I've also seen it do major damage. Just be safe and post lots of videos of you go through with it.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by highvoltagefeathers

PLEASE NOTE:

That said,

So. Any juiced builds?
Forgot to ask, but you said NOS hit or "Evapourative Charge Air Cooling System" - what, specifically, is your primary objective? They are, after all, two entirely different animals (what I'd posited was a variation on the ECAC setup, more like a "Cryogenic Evapourative Charge Air Cooling" setup.)
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 5-90
Forgot to ask, but you said NOS hit or "Evapourative Charge Air Cooling System" - what, specifically, is your primary objective? They are, after all, two entirely different animals (what I'd posited was a variation on the ECAC setup, more like a "Cryogenic Evapourative Charge Air Cooling" setup.)
My primary search is for those who have installed nitrous oxide systems in their xj's, but on the topic of injection, I figured that anyone who had methanol injection (usually for diesels I know) or a cryogenic charge air cooling system like the CO2-intercooler setup, should be free to chime in.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by fishtaconc
I commend you on not referring to it as "nos". I think N2OJeep is/was spraying. Do you know the history of your jeep, my concern would be the previous owners maintenance or lack of.
The previous owner took meticulous care of it, it has 110K miles on it, and as an example, I just did a seafoam treatment (unplugging a manifold vacuum line and letting the engine "sip" about 8 oz of seafoam slowly, then shutting it off, letting it sit, and starting it up again to burn out all the dissolved residues), and on startup, there was almost no smoke, so almost no deposits or buildup at 110,000 miles.

He gave us a half a page engine components that he'd replaced. Not because they had broken, but because "it was about time".

I think a 50-75 shot would be relatively (speaking in nitrous terms) easy on the engine, should "feel" to the I6 about like 7-8 pounds of boost from a turbocharger or supercharger.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 PM

Think I'll shoot a dead horse back to life here. I just realized Jeeptunes that you have an 86 and 96 and I assume you were talking about your 96. The speedo only goes to 85 so how do you know it only goes 100? Mine goes to 100 and I have buried it. It's actually quite stable to be moving at that speed but it has plenty of RPM left to reach the 140-150ish mph range if it had the power. I think I got my tuned Z28 up to 174 before it ran out of power but that took forever. The F body you drove was nowhere near stock from the sounds of it and had quite a bit of top end to boot so no I don't think a sprayed XJ would have any chance in hell against that but these morons in this vid are racing stock ones so I think it's still very doable to quarter mile the $hit out of a stock F body with a 100 shot or so. It would just be a fun thing to do on the weekends and would certainly surprise the hell out of some kids with rice burners. If you blow it oh well. I know where I can get 20 4.0s for about $100 a pop. (not to say I condone street racing or anything but an XJ isn't exactly cop bait)
Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 PM

Year: 96

@xjdryva i know i hit 100 because the gps i was using had a speedo on it and seemed pretty acurate and since then i know that when the needl is pointing straight down i am doing 100
Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jeeptunes
@xjdryva i know i hit 100 because the gps i was using had a speedo on it and seemed pretty acurate and since then i know that when the needl is pointing straight down i am doing 100
Wonder what I'm doing when my needle is pointing straight down lol
Old 03-29-2012, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Wonder what I'm doing when my needle is pointing straight down lol
90-95

Errr, wait... you have a later model xj.... dunno

Last edited by N20jeep; 03-29-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Who has installed a nitrous oxide or evaporative charge air cooling system?