Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens to my alignment if???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What happens to my alignment if???

What happens to my alignment if I "lower" my lift from the current (front-5-3/8", rear 5-4/8")? I recently got an alignment on my Zone lifted Jeep. It was a 3", that I added 1.25" (advertised as 1") pucks to the front, and the rear is a bastard pack/AAL hybrid of sorts. It's aligned at the 5"+ lift on stock arms.

I'd really not want to pay another $80 for an alignment if you don't think the castor will be that far off. I can adjust toe-in. That's pretty simple.

Would my castor angle be improved if I bring it down to 4" or worsened?

It rides like a low-rider when I hit bumps. My rear is way too stiff, the front is still on stock control arms. I don't want to pour anymore money in it until I do a long arm lift one day. I think bringing it Back down to 4" of lift will give me better steering and all those alignment terms (castor and camber) adjustability. I heard from several people here that at the lift I'm currently at, they know I am having problems (which I am) with drivability on the stock control arms.

I don't want to add control arm brackets unless I can be guarantied I'll have a better ride
Old 11-17-2011, 02:12 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

how are you lifted in the back? springs and shackles? blocks?

How did they adjust your castor? They should have shimmed the control arms, but i don't know how much they can be adjusted.

You can check the alignment yourself to get it close enough
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm
Old 11-17-2011, 02:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

Castor will get better the closer to stock you get, Toe in will change. Camber is impossible to adjust without special ball joints
Old 11-17-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

I went to an alignment place recently due to getting new tires and wanting to make sure my alignment was perfect based off the computer alignment. The technician told me basically I should not waste my money paying them to align it, and that the tape measure way of doing it is as good as they are going to get it with their computer. Most places will not adjust caster unless you pay them shop additional labor. So in other words you are paying just to have the toe in set which you can do yourself easily just as accurately as a shop.

Last edited by gvns8; 11-17-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by Vincenza V
What happens to my alignment if I "lower" my lift from the current (front-5-3/8", rear 5-4/8")? I recently got an alignment on my Zone lifted Jeep. It was a 3", that I added 1.25" (advertised as 1") pucks to the front, and the rear is a bastard pack/AAL hybrid of sorts. It's aligned at the 5"+ lift on stock arms.

I'd really not want to pay another $80 for an alignment if you don't think the castor will be that far off. I can adjust toe-in. That's pretty simple.

Would my castor angle be improved if I bring it down to 4" or worsened?

It rides like a low-rider when I hit bumps. My rear is way too stiff, the front is still on stock control arms. I don't want to pour anymore money in it until I do a long arm lift one day. I think bringing it Back down to 4" of lift will give me better steering and all those alignment terms (castor and camber) adjustability. I heard from several people here that at the lift I'm currently at, they know I am having problems (which I am) with drivability on the stock control arms.

I don't want to add control arm brackets unless I can be guarantied I'll have a better ride
Do you mean 5 1/2"?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Comanche

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Do you mean 5 1/2"?
Hahah good call sir. Good call.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

"Do you mean 5 1/2"?"--well yes...but since the front isn't the same, I wanted to quote it all in 1/8" scale, lol.

Dukie564-"how are you lifted in the back? springs and shackles? blocks?

How did they adjust your castor? They should have shimmed the control arms, but i don't know how much they can be adjusted."

Hell, I don't know. All I know is how to adjust the toe-in. I know he called and said the would have to adjust the castor so the alignment was going to cost more than the standard two-wheel. I'll try and post the spec sheet from the alignment here. Maybe you can make more sense of it that I.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:17 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

You can adjust it yourself if it's too far off.
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm