Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is causing this!!!!!!!!! hair pulled out

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default what is causing this!!!!!!!!! hair pulled out

Ok what could be causeing this 89 xj 6.5 lift 33 tire d30 front axle. The top of tire is (imo) extreme laying inward. I have checked the ball joints they dont seem to be bad. What am I missing
Attached Thumbnails what is causing this!!!!!!!!! hair pulled out-forumrunner_20130206_132524.jpg  
Old 02-06-2013, 12:43 PM

Year: 1996

something may be bent.
i know it sounds stupid but take the tire off and put it back on? maybe its kinked on a stud or something. ( always hope for the easy fix )

there is no camber adjustment on dana 30s unless you get an adjutable balljoint.. but those are crapp with big tires they never last
( i work at an alignment shop and have seen them fail many times )

double check your ball joint.
to do so lift the tire up loaded ( so from the bottom of the axle )
and grab a large pry bar stick it under neath and pry up hard and release and repeat while having someone else with a flashlight look right at the balljoints upper and lower.
if no up and down play check for side to side play. same way just pry up a good amount and wiggle side to side while someone else looks.

if its not your ball joints and not your tires crooked then my guess is something is bent.
start puling it apart and youll find it eventually
Old 02-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Im suprised its not ball joints... Maybe your knuckle is bent? Or you have a hub thats demolished?

Id almost just find a d30 for sale and buy it and swap it in..could also be a bent axle.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Well guess ill do that tonight then and check the ball joint again. Then I guess go and look at another d30 and get a idea and see if mine is bent. Idk hopefully not though
Old 02-06-2013, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

my 87 had this, my hub was messed up big time, couldn't tell when driving but when i would turn i would hear grinding, replaced it and its been fine since. i thought my dana 30 was bent, that wasn't the case though.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Looks like a couple problems here but it could just be the camera angle. When was the last time you had an alignment done? Looks like you have alot of toe out. What does it measure? Also looks like your diff cover is point towards the ground. Is your pinion pointing way up? Your caster could be way to far forward which will also cause your camber to be off because of the way the knuckles are rotated.

If you aren't familiar with front end alignments then you might take it into a shop and have it checked. They also will go through all the components and make sure they are ok.

You steering angles also look pretty steep. You might look into upgrading your steering and track bar soon.

Kris Froehlich
Old 02-06-2013, 01:35 PM

Looks like you have several degrees of negative camber. You could try using offset balljoints, but it would probably be best to replace D30 axle. Likely bent C, knuckle or damaged hub.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Year: 97

Are both tires doing this or just one? Hard to tell by the camera angle.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:54 PM

Both tires are doing this. I didnt think about the hubs causing this how can I tell if its bad if it doesnt look bad. And yes the pinion is somewhat pointing up, but if that was my case wouldn't I get a lot of driveline vibs or no. And I am going this weekend to the jy to get all the parts need to do a wj knuckle swap and brake swap. Along with converting the rear brakes to disc too.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your hubs are shot you'll be able to jack it up, grab the tire at the top and bottom and move it back and forth. Hubs are a beyotch to change on one that age. Start spraying the bolts now with a 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF. Go ahead and get a couple new ball joints while you've got the thing torn apart. And a ball joint tool to get them apart is money well spent. You can get one from Autozone or Advance for free if you leave a deposit.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:05 PM

Well the pass side shouldnt be so bad cause I had it apart a coupke months ago to replace a joint on the axle shaft got bouncing on a rock and there it went. Didnt think the 4.0 had enough power to do that but hopefully it wont be to bad ill let yall kniw what I find out after this weekend
Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L "Power Tech HO"

Looks like a bad hub!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

v8xjdavid i wholeheartedly dissagree with your statement! i have an 88 all OG and i did my hub in under 20 mins with no lubes. its not a bad project you need a 36 mm socket and a 12 pt 13 mm socket and a large ratchet and hammer and punch to seperate the hub from the axle shaft its super easy
Old 02-06-2013, 02:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by Kris smith
v8xjdavid i wholeheartedly dissagree with your statement! i have an 88 all OG and i did my hub in under 20 mins with no lubes. its not a bad project you need a 36 mm socket and a 12 pt 13 mm socket and a large ratchet and hammer and punch to seperate the hub from the axle shaft its super easy
it really is an easy job, off and on for me in 45 minutes (occasional stop to chit chat with dad)
Old 02-06-2013, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
Looks like a couple problems here but it could just be the camera angle. When was the last time you had an alignment done? Looks like you have alot of toe out. What does it measure? Also looks like your diff cover is point towards the ground. Is your pinion pointing way up? Your caster could be way to far forward which will also cause your camber to be off because of the way the knuckles are rotated.

If you aren't familiar with front end alignments then you might take it into a shop and have it checked. They also will go through all the components and make sure they are ok.

You steering angles also look pretty steep. You might look into upgrading your steering and track bar soon.

Kris Froehlich
Best expaination and advise is right here.

Quick Reply: what is causing this!!!!!!!!! hair pulled out