Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What all do I need

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What all do I need

Sooo I've ditched the idea of getting a new dd with tax returns, in favor of setting the Jeep up on 35s. I'm trying to get a list of everything I'm gonna need to do so, so far I've found this kit for 4:88 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/yg...model/cherokee Is this everything I'll need to gear swap? Im also thinking of going with lokka lockers front and back http://lokka.com/site/ I'm thinking about going with the GY kevlar MTRs, unless anyone has some better recommendations.

I know Ill need new shock and bumpstops as I'm only at 3".
Old 11-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0

Uhhh fender trimming if you haven't. And depending on your axles you might consider chromoly shafts although they're not necessary.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by burg3rlicious
Uhhh fender trimming if you haven't. And depending on your axles you might consider chromoly shafts although they're not necessary.
Im trimmed, Ive had a buddies 35s on it before with no rubbing on street driving, but I do plan to trim a good amount more, spare shafts are pretty easy to get so maybe after breaking a second or third one ill buy chromolly. I know more about what i need to do to make them fit but less about what I need to do my gears and lockers
Old 11-05-2014, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by PurpleToxin505
Im trimmed, Ive had a buddies 35s on it before with no rubbing on street driving, but I do plan to trim a good amount more, spare shafts are pretty easy to get so maybe after breaking a second or third one ill buy chromolly. I know more about what i need to do to make them fit but less about what I need to do my gears and lockers
You'll need to trim fenders if you plan on wheeling I was on 35's for awhile. I suggest chromoly shafts while your regearing. In my area we have lots of high traction surfaces do anything 33's or larger with lockers tend to snap u joints on stock shafts. Taking out hubs and balljoints sometimes
Old 11-05-2014, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Didn't check the link you posted, PM RWK Haus, he gave me a smokin deal on full case lockers, gears (4.56), & master install kits. Arrived at my door in about 3 days.

35" Kevlars, they're nice. Just put a set on my XJ. Havin issues with balancing them though. Think I'll get some balance beads and call it done.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
You'll need to trim fenders if you plan on wheeling I was on 35's for awhile. I suggest chromoly shafts while your regearing. In my area we have lots of high traction surfaces do anything 33's or larger with lockers tend to snap u joints on stock shafts. Taking out hubs and balljoints sometimes
My fenders are already trimmed, I understand everything Ill need to do to make it driveable, and not screw up my tires, I'll be adding longer travel shocks, bumps stops, and limit straps. May step up to 4 inches or possibly do shock hoops. And chromolys will come if I start breaking shafts.
Originally Posted by caronaxtr
Didn't check the link you posted, PM RWK Haus, he gave me a smokin deal on full case lockers, gears (4.56), & master install kits. Arrived at my door in about 3 days.

35" Kevlars, they're nice. Just put a set on my XJ. Havin issues with balancing them though. Think I'll get some balance beads and call it done.
Does he have 4.88?

Edit: Checked his site, looks like I can get everything lockers, 4.88 gears, new carrier for the d30 and the install kit for 1350.

Last edited by PurpleToxin505; 11-05-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't need limit straps on short arms unless you go with drop brackets.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

If you wheel with 3" and 35's you will need some serious fender mods unless you bump it to hell.

Name:  CameraZOOM-20141102212312902_zpsnldsyrl8.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  58.2 KB

If you are just going for looks mainly then it's not such a big deal.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by holycaveman
If you wheel with 3" and 35's you will need some serious fender mods unless you bump it to hell.

If you are just going for looks mainly then it's not such a big deal.
Yeah it'll definitely be wheeled hard, If I have to Ill loose my fenders, I do plan on cutting the rear wheel wells out and building higher and deeper ones. If the budget allows for long arms after the gears and tires I will definitely be going that route if not I'll build some drop brackets.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by PurpleToxin505
There is a good chance you might not even break a shaft too. So many people have run insane axle and wheel combos with no breakage (LP30 locked with 37s). I honestly think it's the luck of the draw lol I just suggested chromoly in case you were the type who'd rather play it safe.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by burg3rlicious
There is a good chance you might not even break a shaft too. So many people have run insane axle and wheel combos with no breakage (LP30 locked with 37s). I honestly think it's the luck of the draw lol I just suggested chromoly in case you were the type who'd rather play it safe.
If the budget will allow for them, by all means I'll run some. But JY or napa shafts will have to do if I dont have the cash
Old 11-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Seasoned Member

You could probably buy 3 sets of stock shafts before you reach the price of chromollys lol
Old 11-06-2014, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

I'm on 4.5" and 35s. 4.88 gears in the 30 and 8.8.
I did need to trim a lot but still got 6" of up travel
A good cheap upgrade to your shafts is putting 760x u joints in there with full circle clips. ALOT of shaft failure is at the ears from caps spitting and shearing the joint. Full circle clips keep the cap on. I did this upgrade and love it. Being locked up front it gives peace of mind on the trails
When I was re gearing I just went to 4wp and got a g2 r&p and master instal kit. Good prices and they are super quiet. Their instal kits use timken bearings. Re gearing yourself will save you a lot of money as well. Just takes time, took me about 20 tries and 6 hours or so to get the perfect pattern and backlash lol
By the way good luck fining the mtrs in 35x12.5r15 I tried and they were on national back order. I found new km2s but they had to come from Houston before I could get them lol

Last edited by 884x4; 11-06-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by caronaxtr

Yes, Robert has great pricing.
Originally Posted by 884x4
I'm on 4.5" and 35s. 4.88 gears in the 30 and 8.8.
I did need to trim a lot but still got 6" of up travel
A good cheap upgrade to your shafts is putting 760x u joints in there with full circle clips. ALOT of shaft failure is at the ears from caps spitting and shearing the joint. Full circle clips keep the cap on. I did this upgrade and love it. Being locked up front it gives peace of mind on the trails
When I was re gearing I just went to 4wp and got a g2 r&p and master instal kit. Good prices and they are super quiet. Their instal kits use timken bearings. Re gearing yourself will save you a lot of money as well. Just takes time, took me about 20 tries and 6 hours or so to get the perfect pattern and backlash lol
By the way good luck fining the mtrs in 35x12.5r15 I tried and they were on national back order. I found new km2s but they had to come from Houston before I could get them lol

This is a good mod to do. I only paid $200 for my chromos tough....

Just get RCV's.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:43 PM

Year: 1991

Lots of my buddies run mtr and have serious balancing issues. I have km2s and they have been great. A lot of other guys in my club run trail grapplers and they love them. Just put a set of grapplers on my truck and have nothing but good things to say about them too.