Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what aftermarket seats do you use?

Old 02-23-2019, 08:43 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default what aftermarket seats do you use?

looking to replace my powered seats for somthing manual that is comfortable off road. i see several options out there but not sure which ones are good. any recommendations from experience?
Old 02-23-2019, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

also interested
Old 02-23-2019, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Originally Posted by jon-d
looking to replace my powered seats for somthing manual that is comfortable off road. i see several options out there but not sure which ones are good. any recommendations from experience?

May actually be cheaper to get your current seats recovered..................unless you really really dislike them.

Last edited by TRCM; 02-23-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Personally, I used WJ electric leather seats and remade the brackets, which you will have to do anyway unless you can find a kit. But I do have objections to some of the seats, like the Corbeau racing seat. It is designed mainly for drag racing. It has wings at shoulder level and if you have wide shoulders they will make you hunched all the time. For me that would be uncomfortable
Old 02-24-2019, 09:28 AM

my seats are good just that the powered seat gears are wearing out. sometimes the wife drives the jeep and she is like 4 feet tall and i am 6 feet, and what i am afraid of is the seat will break after she adjusts it. i would rather go manual (read: relyable) and since i am making the change i would rather install some good seats. worse case i can go to the JY and puck up seats out of an xj.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Originally Posted by jon-d
my seats are good just that the powered seat gears are wearing out. sometimes the wife drives the jeep and she is like 4 feet tall and i am 6 feet, and what i am afraid of is the seat will break after she adjusts it. i would rather go manual (read: relyable) and since i am making the change i would rather install some good seats. worse case i can go to the JY and puck up seats out of an xj.

Gotcha........remember my dad complaining all the time...mom would slide the seat forward for her, and he'd never be able to get in till he slid it back......

You can go to the same JY and get a new power seat mechanism to swap out too..................I wish I HAD power seats in my XJ....and lower seats as well......
Old 02-24-2019, 10:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

In my project Jeep the seats were junk so I trashed them. I haven't done it yet, but I am looking at using TJ seats and brackets. My XJ is a 2 door so I need something that folds forward. Also, I am tall and you can buy extended sliders for TJ seats to slide them back even farther. Just something to consider.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

I spent $150 on RX8 seats and love them. Had to make my own brackets but they are solid. Power driver, manual passenger, both have built in heaters and air bags if I ever wire them up.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

ZJ seats are great if you don't want to spend a lot; they bolt right up to the factory brackets and are 10x more comfortable. Best $50 I ever spent.

what aftermarket seats do you use?-ef1z9vqh.jpg
Old 03-15-2019, 09:48 AM

Well my bracket is broke.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:45 AM

Year: 1992
Default Corbeau

I have a set of Corbeau Baja XRS installed in my XJ. They look kinda cool and are reasonably comfortable but no where near like an OEM seat in good shape would be IMHO. The only adjustment is front/rear movement plus the back tilts. Nothing else, height is fixed and seat base tilt is fixed.

When I bought my Jeep the seats were pretty trashed out. My wife wouldn't even ride in it until I replaced the seats. I went to 4WheelParts.com in Coppell, Tx. (back about 5 years ago when I still lived in The Republic) and just took the recommendation from the parts counter guy. Due to the lack of adjustability and how like "sitting on an ironing board" they feel I would not do it again. The other problem is they are significantly wider at the bottom than stock so with the Corbeau seat brackets (which I also bought, and VERY poorly made I should say) The seat is raised up an inch or two for clearance ... It's been a while since I did it, but my side plastic trim that runs along the door sill is out of the vehicle on both sides. I"m pretty sure I recall taking these parts off BECAUSE they interfered with the seats. I will try to post a pic but my post count is so low I doubt ...

David

Edit: Whoa !! It worked !

Last edited by Black92Cherokee; 03-16-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:05 PM

cool, thank you for the feedback about the seats. it almost seems that shopping at a junk yard might be a good way to go. allows a person to sit in them first and also determine their functionality.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:39 PM

today i scored a set of rx8 seats out of an 08. 40 bucks for both and they are in good condition. the drivers is powered and the passenger is manual. not sure if they are heated or not. if anyone knows the wiring for them please let me know.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

I'm currently sitting on a Rugged Ridge XHD reclining seat. Not a bad replacement but I think I should have went with the "Ultra" it looks to be a little wider than the XHD. I'm 5' 8" and 200 lbs and it's just barely wide enough for me.

I'm shopping around to get my OEM seat recovered/restuffed and I'll need to fix the frame on it.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:24 PM

when i got those RX8 seats home I was stoked and ready to get busy on the install....until the wife sat in them. she said liked the stock ZJ seats a bunch more. thinking i could out number her in votes, i ask my son to make the comparison and he was quick to say stock was better. then my buddy stopped by "hey sit in the seat...", same answer. so back to the JY yesterday i go to harvest gears for my powered stock seats. while hunting for seats no one would buy (don't want to dismantle a good seat) i found a nice set of manual ZJ seats in the same color as my jeep. so i picked them up and installed them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what aftermarket seats do you use?