Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waste of Money

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Waste of Money

I installed a powertrax no-slip in my 98 XJ. What a waste. It passes all the tests, but will stop spinning one tire after a corner. I call their tech support, and they are the worst. I give up. I just ordered an Auburn to replace this so called locker. I just wanted to have some more traction, and had more with the open rear. What waste of $400.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:19 AM

Engine: 4.0

When I get it out it will be on E-Bay. It only has 500 miles on it. Cheap
Old 05-24-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the Chry 8.25? Send me the link when you post it on ebay.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

That sucks!

I love my ARB
Old 05-24-2011, 11:24 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by metaldemon7
I installed a powertrax no-slip in my 98 XJ. What a waste. It passes all the tests, but will stop spinning one tire after a corner. I call their tech support, and they are the worst. I give up. I just ordered an Auburn to replace this so called locker. I just wanted to have some more traction, and had more with the open rear. What waste of $400.

sell ur auburn sell ur powertrax and get an Aussie locker
Old 05-24-2011, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by metaldemon7
thats the whole point...it spins two tires when going straight and 1 in a corner unless you give it enough gas that it jumps around the corner. If its not locking up, dont blame powertrax, blame the installer. Thousands of people have it locking up perfectly
Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by lolz_jeep
sell ur auburn sell ur powertrax and get an Aussie locker
im concerned that you might be the biggest brand sackrider on the forum. you arent helping this guys situation, just pushing a brand that you like. the truth is, no-slip is at least as good as if not better than an aussie, this guy just obviously has it set up wrong or didnt expect a locker. not trying to be a terrible person, but everything I see from you is Rustys, aussie, etc etc. aussie locker isnt the solution here, fixing what he has is

Last edited by Hoooper; 05-24-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Umm, unless i'm reading something wrong, i's working right. It unlocks during a corner, spinning 1 wheel, unless throttle is applied, and spins both wheels down a straight.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Every person that i've seen post negative comments has not followed the installation steps EXACTLY. They end up breaking one or paddles on the spacers and then blame the product.

I ran one for years, broke a paddle the first time i installed it too. Replaced the broken part and it worked flawlwessly.

My son has one in is 8.25".....no problems ever.

Take your's out, inspect it...betcha find a broken paddle.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 stock

Originally Posted by Hoooper
thats the whole point...it spins two tires when going straight and 1 in a corner unless you give it enough gas that it jumps around the corner. If its not locking up, dont blame powertrax, blame the installer. Thousands of people have it locking up perfectly
Originally Posted by mentalbreakdown00
Umm, unless i'm reading something wrong, i's working right. It unlocks during a corner, spinning 1 wheel, unless throttle is applied, and spins both wheels down a straight.

+1

That is what I'm getting from it... I have a powertrax no slip in my 1998 XJ. Has worked flawlessly. Very quiet too. When going around a corner with light throttle there isn't any action. Applying more throttle the inner tire starts to scrub. Applying a lot of throttle will just about make the back end break loose.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

im concerned that you might be the biggest brand sackrider on the forum. you arent helping this guys situation, just pushing a brand that you like. the truth is, no-slip is at least as good as if not better than an aussie, this guy just obviously has it set up wrong or didnt expect a locker. not trying to be a terrible person, but everything I see from you is Rustys, aussie, etc etc. aussie locker isnt the solution here, fixing what he has is

x2....

the PowerTrax No-Slip is a great locker I have seen alot take some abuse.

I will agree with FrankZ on the instillation. about 90% of negative comments comes from an improper instillation
Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Every person that i've seen post negative comments has not followed the installation steps EXACTLY. They end up breaking one or paddles on the spacers and then blame the product.

I ran one for years, broke a paddle the first time i installed it too. Replaced the broken part and it worked flawlwessly.

My son has one in is 8.25".....no problems ever.

Take your's out, inspect it...betcha find a broken paddle.

Happened to me also... I manned up and admitted it though...

Old 05-24-2011, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by razor02097
Happened to me also... I manned up and admitted it though...
I believe you are winning

Old 05-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by mentalbreakdown00
I believe this is what he has and its suppose to be a limited slip locker so in the corners both wheels should spin and then lock up in the straights.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU
Old 05-24-2011, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

If one wheel has little or no traction the locker remains locked. There has to be a force involved to unlock the locker. Otherwise it would unlock when you don't want it to.

It will unlock in a corner where both wheels have good traction. When it unlocks it will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds. It remains unlocked until either

A: enough throttle is applied to overcome force of the saddle springs and seat the drive teeth (more than 1/3 throttle will do it)
B: both wheels start spinning at the same speed again.

Quick Reply: Waste of Money