Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viper coil pack swap question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 high output
Default Viper coil pack swap question

Getting rid of the coil rail on my 2000 Xj and I figured out which viper coil pack to get but my question is wires a lot of threads of been reading on get the v8 wire pack and cut to size. I found some on amazon but was not sure if I could use them please let me know. Also pigtail plug that goes into stock coil rail will plug right into viper coil pack and cause no problems with PCM correct?
Attached Thumbnails Viper coil pack swap question-image-3569884884.jpg   Viper coil pack swap question-image-3403810498.jpg  
Old 05-02-2016, 08:35 PM
Banned

Help
Old 05-02-2016, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Cut the plug wires to size? I would never recommend that. I'm honestly doubting it would even work..
Old 05-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JPXJMOAB
Cut the plug wires to size? I would never recommend that. I'm honestly doubting it would even work..
It does they have vids on it you can buy spark plug packs to make your own lengths
Old 05-03-2016, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I thought the Viper coil pack swap was a expensive gimic with zero gains.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Cutting and crimping your own plug wires is a pain sometimes.Working on older cars and trucks sometimes no one makes plug wires for it them so you gotta do it yourself.Honestly unless your coil rail is acting up or half dead i would leave it alone.I have read about people doing the viper coil pack swap but the one you shown is a off brand i wouldn't trust it.Go mopar or a known coil brand if your gonna do it.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Mikeythrash
Getting rid of the coil rail on my 2000 Xj..
Why are you doing this?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Why are you doing this?
my coil rail is **** and I'm sick of not being able to get to each plug and I have read a lot into the viper coil pack and the one I posted many people use with great results also the harness you can use to rewire is one of a fuel pump just gotta cut each end and wire I found all the info and steps to do so. And what to order
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1066869&page=5

Also it does improve a bit with swapping into the viper coil pack I've read a lot of good results with it. If you check the link out it shows you everything.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:55 PM

Year: 1998

I did the viper coil swap, and I always hated the Long Stock Coil in the 00-01 Cherokee's as well as had a few go bad.

I also have a Spectre Cowl intake which made getting the OEM coil a pain to get off, I always hated the plug at the back of the coil, what a pain to get to when you are stuck in the woods and hydro locked.

A) The coil is 1/2 the price as the Cherokee OEM
B) It is now much easier to check for spark if dead in the woods
C) It is now much easier to pull the plugs if hydro-locked.
D) If you think you have a bad coil, you can swap out with a JK coil now while out in the woods (same as the viper coil)
E) Easier to carry a spare, and better chance getting one if stuck out in the boondocks.
F) Beyond now having spark plug wires, what is the negatives of the switch?????

PS: Mine is mounted by the overflow bottle, and I used Caravan wires, and I took a bad coil, cut the female plug off the back of it, cut the male off a dodge in the junkyard, and soldered an extension cord, so I can run either coil now.

Last edited by bryweb; 05-05-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bryweb
I did the viper coil swap, and I always hated the Long Stock Coil in the 00-01 Cherokee's as well as had a few go bad. I also have a Spectre Cowl intake which made getting the OEM coil a pain to get off, I always hated the plug at the back of the coil, what a pain to get to when you are stuck in the woods and hydro locked. A) The coil is 1/2 the price as the Cherokee OEM B) It is now much easier to check for spark if dead in the woods C) It is now much easier to pull the plugs if hydro-locked. D) If you think you have a bad coil, you can swap out with a JK coil now while out in the woods (same as the viper coil) E) Easier to carry a spare, and better chance getting one if stuck out in the boondocks. F) Beyond now having spark plug wires, what is the negatives of the switch????? PS: Mine is mounted by the overflow bottle, and I used Caravan wires, and I took a bad coil, cut the female plug off the back of it, cut the mail off a dodge in the junkyard, and soldered an extension cord, so I can run either coil now.
ok will a harness off of a 98 Xj fuel pump work ? And what about spark plugs ? I was looking at 8mm or 8.5mm ?
Attached Thumbnails Viper coil pack swap question-image-3004294961.jpg  
Old 05-05-2016, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by "bryweb
cut the female plug off the back of it, cut the mail off a dodge in the junkyard, and soldered an extension cord
Mind elaborating on this? What's "Mail" you speak of?
How did u cut the female end off the coil and re use it?
Old 05-05-2016, 10:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XJwonders
Originally Posted by "bryweb
cut the female plug off the back of it, cut the mail off a dodge in the junkyard, and soldered an extension cord
Mind elaborating on this? What's "Mail" you speak of? How did u cut the female end off the coil and re use it?
Yes please let us know bryweb. We will be doing this next weekend any more info will be helpful.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:34 PM

I had a OEM bad coil (the long Jeep 4.0L), so I cut the plug part off of it, soldered my wires to it (I used a tow harness for the 4 wires to extend), and used liquid tape to cover it.

Whether a Gas tank plug is the same, I can not tell you. I cut the male plug off of a connection to a dodge coil in the junkyard.

Regarding plug wires, as I already said I used a set of a Caravan (from the junkyard)

Many just cut the original wire loom in the jeep and extend it, but I did not want to... so I made an extension cable so I could go back to stock easily if I wanted to.

Some have just mounted it on the firewall and the original wire reaches it, and made or got longer spark plug wires.

Not sure what you are all worried about, its not like you can't just plug your old coil back in if it does not work....and go to work on Monday.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bryweb
I had a OEM bad coil (the long Jeep 4.0L), so I cut the plug part off of it, soldered my wires to it (I used a tow harness for the 4 wires to extend), and used liquid tape to cover it. Whether a Gas tank plug is the same, I can not tell you. I cut the male plug off of a connection to a dodge coil in the junkyard. Regarding plug wires, as I already said I used a set of a Caravan (from the junkyard) Many just cut the original wire loom in the jeep and extend it, but I did not want to... so I made an extension cable so I could go back to stock easily if I wanted to. Some have just mounted it on the firewall and the original wire reaches it, and made or got longer spark plug wires. Not sure what you are all worried about, its not like you can't just plug your old coil back in if it does not work....and go to work on Monday.
not worried about anything our question was on the coil pack itself the plug is molded to it, so we were wondering how you cut that off to reuse it.

Last edited by Mikeythrash; 05-05-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:06 PM

I took a 4.5" cut off wheel and cut it off the back of the old OEM Jeep coil and ground it back until I saw the terminals, then I soldered the wires to the terminals and coated it with liquid tape.

But you could probably go to the junk yard and cut the plug that goes to the coil off of a Dodge Caravan coil and look around and find a male plug used somewhere else that will plug into it.

Quick Reply: Viper coil pack swap question