Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper right Front Control Arm Bushing loose

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 Liter
Cool Upper right Front Control Arm Bushing loose

I have a 97 Cherokee sport 4WD with a 4.5 RC lift on 32's. I took her wheeling two weeks ago and spent a lot of time with a loaded rack and three passengers bouncing around gettin it and now i got all these popping and clunking noises coming from my front end when i come to a stop, start moving again and when i'm turning. I was able to diagnose the problem after a lot of poking around in the wrong places and when i finally took my upper control arm off (not the one above the diff) the bushing fell out with no help. i replaced it with a new one but it pushes in by hand so this leads me to believe that the mount got wallowed out with all that bouncing around. I've checked other forums and it seems like i might have to take her to a weld shop and have them install a fresh mount but i have two questions:

1. couldn't i just loctite that mother and call it a day and if so would the red threadlocker work?

2. if i do have to weld on a new mount does anyone have any suggestions on a brand/model?

Last edited by BlackneckOffroad; 03-23-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

NO tread locker will not hold it in place I would change the the all the arms and upgrade them at the sane time .it would be a good thing to do being that you have a 4.5" lift . or you can weld it I would install a new bushing it don't matter what bushing you use it won't last because of the heat of welding will hurt the bushing .
Old 03-24-2018, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

You can buy weld in bushings. I cut my old mount off and welded in a new one from under cover fab