Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning rear seat into a storage locker. Anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Turning rear seat into a storage locker. Anyone done it?

I have a 4dr '89 XJ, in which the rear seats are perpetually folded down with a dog guard mounted. Only dog or cargo ever go in the back. I'd like some slightly more organized storage space.

I've been mulling the idea of removing the bottom cushion of the rear seat and stripping the rear seat back of fabric and cushions, leaving just the seat back itself on its mounts, forming the top of a storage locker with other bits TBD. It'd leave a slight odd shape underneath but a lot of what would go in there (jumper cables, recovery strap etc.) wouldn't be troubled by that, and it would leave me the full cargo area available.

Anyone tried this? Stupid idea and I should just do 'X' for same or better results (specify 'X')?

Last edited by spaceharrier; 02-05-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/ex...ld-out-175034/
Somewhere in there he did some under seat storage, tho I think he kept the seat. Might give you some ideas. Don't even know what "terms" you should use for search.
Maybe scroll thru fabrication or build sections.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L, 6 cylinder, 190 hp, 225 ft lp torque

Hey. Yes, I had my 2000 Cherokee 2 door set up like that for about 6 months. I used a 4 x 4 block of wood to close the lid (stripped rear seat back) on, the rear seat (bottom part) was removed. I left the carpeting on the back that was there. I just cut it around the lip, folded it over the lip and used clips to hold it in place.
Now both top and bottom parts of the rear seat are gone and I don't really use the space behind that 4 or 5 inch lip. My air pump is installed up against that lip on the drivers side along with a gun safe. I have a Rusty's roll bar installed now and the mounting bolts also hold D rings. I use a ratchet strap through the D rings to strap down tool bags, recovery bag, spare parts bag and other spare parts.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Rockhead
Hey. Yes, I had my 2000 Cherokee 2 door set up like that for about 6 months. I used a 4 x 4 block of wood to close the lid (stripped rear seat back) on, the rear seat (bottom part) was removed. I left the carpeting on the back that was there. I just cut it around the lip, folded it over the lip and used clips to hold it in place.
Now both top and bottom parts of the rear seat are gone and I don't really use the space behind that 4 or 5 inch lip. My air pump is installed up against that lip on the drivers side along with a gun safe. I have a Rusty's roll bar installed now and the mounting bolts also hold D rings. I use a ratchet strap through the D rings to strap down tool bags, recovery bag, spare parts bag and other spare parts.
Cool, thanks for posting. Think I'll give it a go.