Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo charging a jeep.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0-t
Default turbo charging a jeep.

i am planning on going turbo on my xj.. i am looking for advice already bought a turbine, its from a turbo supra (7mgt). not looking for big boost just a little help...please some ideas on what to do but using stock internals remember low boost just for ocasional wheeling....thx..
Old 11-14-2011, 08:30 PM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0 Stroked - 4.7

how many miles on the engine?year? Get more specific - why boost the engine for wheelin? You'd definately benefit better from a re-gear for wheelin' sake. Boosting will shorten the life of your non-modified engine..
Old 11-14-2011, 08:34 PM

i recently rebuilt the engine and what do you mean by regear???
Old 11-14-2011, 08:36 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: I6 4.0L HO

.....ohh boy in for a lot of work man!!
1.Intercooler
2.Some way to manage fule delivery system..
3.New fuel injectors.
4. Most of all that's all I can think of...but you need to do a **** ton of research!! The more you know the better off you are...also know the difference between a super charger and turbo charger im just getting into them myself but I know it has to be done right and isn't cheep.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by nopi
hahaha and u want a turbo?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:40 PM

re-gearing your axles would give you a better option for wheelin - don't put the strain on your engine with the turbo. re-gearing will save a lot of time, dollars, and heart-ache. Boosting is a whole nother world of issues. I'd sell the turbo for money for the gears.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepjunky
hahaha and u want a turbo?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:45 PM

I might have to agree the cost effectiveness isnot there...our 4.0 is built stong but run bost and you wear out your valvesprings and other things....if u wana grab your manhood and go head first and do the supercharger then goahead.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 PM

could you explain me the regeraing thing is there a topic about it... ive turbo charged a couple off cars and engine management is not a problem because i sell megasquirts i though a supercharger would be a good idea and was looking for one off a mr2 they push up to 8psi and are clutch activated like a a/c compressor so you can boost on the trail and still have a daily driver by switching the clutch system off.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

well you have one thing you need which is the turbo. You need a turbo manifold and bigger injectors and a boost refferenced map sensor. You can get away with the crude way of adding more fuel by using a FMU. When I was thinking of doing a turbo I was going to use a mega squirt system to tune the engine for the boost with a 3 bar map sensor but with the cost associated with doing a turbo its more cost effective to do a V8 swap in my opinion
If you do a search I think there are a couple people who have done it on NAXJA and PIRATE

Last edited by 1988cherokee; 11-14-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Im not gonna be a ***** about it but boosting is a whole nother world of problems, if ur gonna boost it your better off throwing thousands into internals and everything else youll need if not it will be big problems down the road. Cheap boost is definitley not worth it in the long run, if ur gonna do it do it right and if ur gonna do it right do it big and go for power lol. Just my $.02
Old 11-14-2011, 08:53 PM

could you explain me the regeraing thing is there a topic about it... ive turbo charged a couple off cars and engine management is not a problem because i sell megasquirts i though a supercharger would be a good idea and was looking for one off a mr2 they push up to 8psi and are clutch activated like a a/c compressor so you can boost on the trail and still have a daily driver by switching the clutch system off.
regear to change the gears in your axles to allow yourbengine to spin larger tires better. Makes running 35's with upgraded gearsrun near stock conditions...however your mpg will still take a huge crap.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

regearing is changing axle(s) gear ratio. stock for most auto. 4WD xj's is 3.55:1 (3.55 pinion rotations to 1 ring gear rotation) for off road most people go up numerically though it is called gearing down (common off road gear ratios are 4.10, 4.56, 4.88 and so on)
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by UsmclovesXJ
regear to change the gears in your axles to allow yourbengine to spin larger tires better. Makes running 35's with upgraded gearsrun near stock conditions...however your mpg will still take a huge crap.
damn, beat me to it lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

so much wrong information in this thread.

OP, do some research on other forums...google is your friend. (junkyard turbo, DIY turbo, megasquirt, apexi AFC)those are some keywords you should look into

you are asking for advice from people who have no actual experience with this subject, and the 1% who have the know how probably aren't reading this thread.

Quick Reply: turbo charging a jeep.