Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TTB v D44

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default TTB v D44

I know a lot of Jeepspeed desert racing guys run TTB's, but how well do they do on rocks? I would think that they offer good wheel articulation independently and are strong like a D44.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Vetteboy on NAXJA use TTB on his modified crawler. It does awesome on the rocks
Old 11-03-2016, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

A d44 isn't strong... Bouncers and winning KOH cars are typically solid axle for a reason. Stronger, cheaper, easier to work on/ build, and articulation. Waste of time for all the fab work involved unless it's a go fast in whoops car. But if you're serious about that I wouldn't even build it from a XJ.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
A d44 isn't strong... Bouncers and winning KOH cars are typically solid axle for a reason. Stronger, cheaper, easier to work on/ build, and articulation. Waste of time for all the fab work involved unless it's a go fast in whoops car. But if you're serious about that I wouldn't even build it from a XJ.
I wasn't interested in rock bouncers or KOH, but since you brought it up, most KOH cars are independent front suspension like Shannon Campbell's for instance. I also wasn't comparing a D44 to a D60, but a D30 to a D44. Plus the TTB's are offered in Dana 28, Dana 35, Dana 44, and Dana 50 sizes.

Since I have a Cherokee and I want to put a TTB on it, my question would be is it worth the extra fab work so it works on rocks and WILL work on trails at full speed or not?
Old 11-03-2016, 11:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjallseasons
I wasn't interested in rock bouncers or KOH, but since you brought it up, most KOH cars are independent front suspension like Shannon Campbell's for instance. I also wasn't comparing a D44 to a D60, but a D30 to a D44. Plus the TTB's are offered in Dana 28, Dana 35, Dana 44, and Dana 50 sizes. Since I have a Cherokee and I want to put a TTB on it, my question would be is it worth the extra fab work so it works on rocks and WILL work on trails at full speed or not?
Winning KOH cars... Erik Miller, Randy slawson, Jason scherer. Yes IFS cars like Shannon and Loren have won before. But solid axle rigs are still stronger, cheaper, easier to build, and will articulate better than IFS, especially for the fab work involved on a XJ. My point was if you're doing the work just do a 60. TTB gives no benefit under a full bodied rig compared to a solid axle 60 or 44, which is a waste of time and money. To make it worth a damn you would need custom swing arms and some good Coilovers or ORI's.

Last edited by 94XjSport94; 11-03-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As a ford guy the ttb is cool on the road and light trails,On rocks its trash unless you turn and cut it and spend about 4 grand on the front axle and steering.But even then it has its drawl backs like more moving parts aka more stuff you can break.The ground clearance is less then a solid axle and the axle roll and center of gravity is different then a solid axle.Rocks i rather have a solid axle only time ill take ttb over one is a street truck or a high speed desert racing stuff.On the King of the hammers aka ultra 4 rigs they are ifs not ttb and they are built over kill to make it through the race.But i would love to see one of them try some of the rock bouncing i have seen here.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:51 AM
CF Veteran

Look at money maker that TC used for 2 races and ditched for a solid axle. The kraken buggy is IFS and IRS and needs A LOT more tuning in its CO's. It was for sale too.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Look at money maker that TC used for 2 races and ditched for a solid axle. The kraken buggy is IFS and IRS and needs A LOT more tuning in its CO's. It was for sale too.

I was just about to mention this. Figured we'd start seeing IS pop up left and right in the bouncer world after TC showed that it was possible

I've seen a TTB d35 with an Aussie locker do decent in a ford ranger, with 2.5" coilovers. just depends on what "rocks" you're talking about. Trails with rocks on them? no problem. Rock crawling trails? you're SOL buddy. I agree you're wasting your time swapping TTB into a Cherokee and then trying to rock crawl it. Pick a side, crawling or go-fast. If you decide on go-fast, here's how you do it on TTB!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1088116

other IFS cars I can think of:
2 of the Gomez brothers
Shirley
Wayes
Schererer-erer
Letzroll
Wayland
Gilstrap
both Ferravanti's
Baird (where is he?)
4wheelparts car
Waggoner (IFS/IRS looking amazing in the rocks)

These guys are absolutely killing it on the short course
Old 11-04-2016, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

I knew the Gomez brothers, Healy, and wayes were all IS but I don't know much about U4 compared to bouncer land over here.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:42 AM

I knew the Gomez brothers, Healy, and wayes were all IS but I don't know much about U4 compared to bouncer land over here.
We don't bounce out here and there's not much mud unless it rains. Its either go fast or crawl.