Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case chain binding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Transfer case chain binding?

It's been a while since I've been on here so I apologize if I've posted in the incorrect spot or way.
Anyway, I have installed a SYE from Rugged Ridge in my '90 xj's NP231. I decided to replace the chain since I was already there and the old one looked like it needed replacing. I ended up ordering one from O'reillys since my father works there and I get a sweet discount. After several bouts of opening/closing up the t case from an unrelated matter I finished Installing everything. I get in my jeep ready to make the return trip back to school from NorCal to SoCal and I get a couple mile from my parents house and suddenly there is a weird binding/popping comes from underneath the jeep as I'm driving down the highway. It doesn't stop so I return and take my trusty Miata back to school. So while I'm at school my father tries to find out what's going on. He takes it to a shop and has it aligned and changes some front end bushings with no luck. The binding/popping still happens with inconsistent frequency but usually when under power. My father also tried removing front or rear drive shafts and seeing if that made a difference. When the rear was removed and driven with front diff only the binding worsened. I have a feeling that it may be the chain that is binding since when I was assembling the tcase I turned the main shaft and the chain bound up for a second but when I turned it harder it freed up then bound again. I assumed that when the front yoke and rear cover were installed the chain would work properly. I was in quite a hurry to get it done which is never a good thing and just assumed since the chain was new it would work. Anyway I'm now back home and have a few days to wrench on it and I would appreciates anyone's input. Thanks in advance.
Andrew.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

So I changed the chain and the sound still remains. I also tried switching front drive lines with no change either. I'm beginning to think Its somewhere in the front end or front diff.
I forgot to mention that it happens past 30~ mph and sounds like it's from the front end of the jeep.