Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer hitch vs. Exhaust

Old 03-25-2014, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Trailer hitch vs. Exhaust

Bought an aftermarket Reese hitch for my 96 XJ the other day. I had a $20 gift card to Menard's and it was on sale for $80 so I figured why not I haven't been able to find a used one for less than that. Well I got it installed yesterday and by the time I get the tail pipe moved over enough to not hit the hitch (Still only a 1/2" of clearance) the tail pipe is getting into the leaf spring.

Came up with one solution just want to run it by someone else first. I was thinking of just cutting off the tail pipe and adding a turn down end before it ever gets to the hitch. Would that work or will I be asking for trouble with fumes in the cabin? Also was a little unsure with that being right next to the gas tank although I don't think that should be a huge issue. Thanks
Old 03-25-2014, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I cut my exhaust tipoff to about 1.5" before the rear hanger. No need for a turndown.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

My hitch isn't a Reese but maybe this will help. I modified the brkt near the muffler to lower the tailpipe a bit then connected the rear brkt as the pic shows to lower it a bit more. There is more room on either side of the pipe (2 1/2" JEGS cat-back system) than it looks like in the pic. It's never hit either the spring or hitch even when offroad. I did cut the end of the tailpipe by about 3" but for looks not for clearance.

Name:  101_2248_zps9878c151.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  86.8 KB
Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
My hitch isn't a Reese but maybe this will help. I modified the brkt near the muffler to lower the tailpipe a bit then connected the rear brkt as the pic shows to lower it a bit more. There is more room on either side of the pipe (2 1/2" JEGS cat-back system) than it looks like in the pic. It's never hit either the spring or hitch even when offroad. I did cut the end of the tailpipe by about 3" but for looks not for clearance.

Looks like your hitch bracket is flipped the other way from mine. I tried to put mine on like that but it wouldn't quite clear the tank.

On a side note. Are those Grabber AT2 tires? Been looking at getting a set. How do you like them?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

Mine's a Hidden Hitch. I was afraid there might be a diff between them.

Yea,they're AT2's. My favorites to date. There are brands that offer a bit less noise and a bit better ride if you do mostly highway driving. This is my second winter on them and they're wearing well. I travel alot of unimproved roads and have had no problem with the tread breaking off even when tires are spun (chunking?). I've had many diff a/t tires over the years and these are in the top three (BFG,Armstrong,General) all being equally good on ice and in snow or shallow mud. In fact in the area I live they're the top seller right now. I found the Tirerack survey for them to be right on the money.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT
Old 03-25-2014, 02:22 PM

Cool thanks. I live on gravel and during hunting season am on gravel a lot more. I do have quite a bit of highway to drive but would rather have a good rugged tire then I don't have to worry about falling apart on the gravel than offer a smooth ride. If I was concerned with that I would have bought a nearly 20 year old vehicle. I think I'm pretty set on getting these tires before this next winter.