Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There HAS to be a solution for the Cherokee overheat issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default There HAS to be a solution for the Cherokee overheat issue

With as many people on here who are experienced mechanics and long-term Cherokee owners, there HAS to be a definitive solution for these endless Cherokee cooling problems. With as many aftermarket hot rod radiator manufacturers as there are, I simply cannot believe that SOMEBODY has not figured out how to get around Jeep's stupid design flaw. (What kind of idiot would design a 4-wheel-drive vehicle that overheats when it is driven slowly off-road? Or, if it requires an electric fan to help cool it, doesn't have a manual fan switch as OE from the FACTORY?)

A larger-cooling-capacity aluminum double-row radiator with three cooling fans can't cool off an inline six? Give me a break. There has to be a bolt-on solution. Anybody?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by Low Profile
With as many people on here who are experienced mechanics and long-term Cherokee owners, there HAS to be a definitive solution for these endless Cherokee cooling problems. With as many aftermarket hot rod radiator manufacturers as there are, I simply cannot believe that SOMEBODY has not figured out how to get around Jeep's stupid design flaw. (What kind of idiot would design a 4-wheel-drive vehicle that overheats when it is driven slowly off-road? Or, if it requires an electric fan to help cool it, doesn't have a manual fan switch as OE from the FACTORY?)

A larger-cooling-capacity aluminum double-row radiator with three cooling fans can't cool off an inline six? Give me a break. There has to be a bolt-on solution. Anybody?
No, there's not a bolt on solution... The OEM cooling system works just fine when it's in proper working order. I currently have 3 XJ's. Two 93s and a 98. All three have completely OEM cooling systems.

I could drive all three up and down a mountain all day long at 2mph and none of them would overheat...

I've had renix XJ's. When they're working correctly they do just fine as well, though the closed cooling system isn't exactly desirable, IMO.

Something is wrong with your cooling system. Band-aids aren't going to fix it.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by Lowrange2
^^This.

Not like the cooling system is overly complicated or expensive either.

Water pump is $32 or less. Hoses, maybe another 30. $7 thermostat.

$170 or less for an EXPENSIVE radiator.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

my renix has never overheated in the time i've owned it. my renix mj never did either. proper maintenance is key. troubleshooting a cooling system problem can be a pain since there are so many things that contribute to its overall function and efficiency, but patience and persistence pays off eventually. good luck.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Same here all oem parts no overheating issues unless something wore out.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:09 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

^^ x about 5

If your XJ is overheating your cooling system is faulty. It's that simple.

Which means it's less about "idiot" automotive engineers and more about lack of maintenance on the part of owners.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:14 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

One word: Maintenance.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 PM

Year: 1996

my solution was to.. oh wait still throwing parts at it LOL.. I did t-stat sensors and fan. coolant looked good but it's getting a good flush now.. and other "stuff" ??? Idk I gave in and took it to the shop (at the dealers expense since he's a cool guy and and having it fixed for me)
Old 06-27-2013, 09:28 PM

just replace your cooling system all at once
buy an aftermarket radiator

enjoy years of no more overheating ever
Old 06-27-2013, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Its true.

A cherokee with a cooling system that is not up to par will overheat.

I am sorry for you that jeep did not design a system that would cool properly with only half of the system working.

I must admit that this would be handy for a lot of people
Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Make sure the elec. fan kicks on. If you unplug the sensor by the thermostat water neck and start the engine it should kick on. Mine never kicks on but I replaced a leaky thermostat gasket and forgot to plug the sensor back in. The fan kicked on. Or wire the fan to a switch? Run it direct so it's always on? Other than that make sure the rad fins are free of debris and check everything. My cherokee never goes over 210. Ever. Hot or cold runs the same. It's a 98
Old 06-27-2013, 09:39 PM

i never need my fan to kick on, i don't even think it works
Old 06-27-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Where did the angry OP go?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0

Idk. Maybe designing a cooling system for us? With several manually operated auxiliary fans at various temperatures?

Anyway, I had my Renix radiator crack on me and cause overheating. But it was around -15 and probably the original radiator. If so, 22 years seems pretty reliable by my standards. Left it as a closed system since I needed it on the road ASAP.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:50 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

He's off looking for someone/something to blame.........It's probably you that caused all his problems anyway.

Quick Reply: There HAS to be a solution for the Cherokee overheat issue