Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taurus 3.0L Dual Fan Install? Need Help(wiring related)

Old 09-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Taurus 3.0L Dual Fan Install? Need Help(wiring related)

Alright so I scooped a 3.0L Dual Fan set up at the JY yesterday from a Taurus, when I went for my tranny cooler line. Im doing a full cooling system overhaul, so naturally, this was at the top of the list. I was contemplating the 3.8L but the only two we could find I allowed brother to get so he could install them in his Dirtyymaxx... :drool:

But anyways, heres my problem. I HATE CHEMISTRY!! I like physics, thats why Im doing mechanical eng lol. Electrical stuff pisses me off, & Ive come to terms with it. So flat out after searching and reading Im still lost like Columbus looking for India.. right general direction, but no clue has how to get there. I understand that the fans pull up to 70-90amps at start up but 50amps relays suffice for use.. blah blah blah. Means nothing to me.

I plan on removing the mech. fan. What I think Id like for the system to do is..

Fan A(Passenger Side): Auto-on at start up; low speed.
Fan B(Driver Side): Auto-on at designated temp, Ex. 185~195; low speed.

Then..
Fan A: Auto-on with A/C; high speed.
Fan B: High speed has a manual engaging switch reserved for offroading, towing, etc.

^Is what I described physically possible??

Flat out, what I am looking for is someone kind enough to write up necessary parts and a visual wiring diagram, if possible. If someone has the time to help me, I am willing to paypal you a little something for assistants and time.Though this is my project vehicle, for the time being its my sister DD. She doesnt have a car yet and Id be an asshat to have two perfectly fine vehicles(or atleast I did before this happened) and not help her out. Lord knows I remember the importance and excitment of being 16 and a freshly retained license.. Greatest thing since sliced bread

Thanks y'all

-Jon
Old 09-05-2011, 01:31 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

I hope this is helpfull

http://http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoElectricFan.htm

Brandon
Old 09-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by btm24
Thanks man, I had seen that post. That'll be helpful for the install specificly, his solution for the belt drive was legit.

But what Im looking for, solely, is How Do I Wire The System Specificly how I had stated.. If its even possible. My only issue is wiring. I need exact start to finish details. I am OOBER Elecitric NOOOB and Im looking for an explaination for as such.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:59 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Theres really no reason to have the fan come on automatically when you start the truck. I would suggest wiring them to work just like factory and have a manual switch as a "just in case" to turn the fans on before a certain temp, or while the key is on, engine off.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/co...total-fan.html

Check that link out. Very detailed, very knowledgable guy. Should be what your looking for.

I had my dual electric fans wired in my 91 z28 where both were on high with ac request and both on high at a certain temp. Never got over 208*.

Last edited by the buddmang; 09-05-2011 at 06:03 PM.