Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

taking plunge. Doing lift, wheels, tires... input plzzzzzz

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default taking plunge. Doing lift, wheels, tires... input plzzzzzz

Hey Guys,

I am just getting back into this hobby and will be doing additional work next week to my jeep.

I wanted to get some friendly feedback on the following

This is what I am ordering:
1. lift: 2" Rubicon budget boost
2. Pro Comp Rock Crawler 98 black with chrome lugs/hub
3. 31x9.5x15 General Grabber HTS

I do 90% highway driving.

Anyone running the General Grabber HTS? Better tire recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-16-2011, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 stock

If all you are going to use it for is street then a highway tire should be fine.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

I'm thinking the 31" tire and all highway driving will be a lower performance experience (affects gearing ratio). My Cherokee w/31s takes a lot of effort to get to 60mph and I have to floor it to see 65-70mph and that is not sustainable.

Since you are spending $$ to lift and use a highway tire for highway use, I think you'll lose highway drive-ability.

Also, the General tire is fine, but kind of bland looking (IMO). Maybe consider an A/T tire?

Here is my Cherokee with 31" BFG highway tires when I bought it...

I'm just offering a sanity check (and opinion) to you because I think a lift w/ 31" highway tires will take performance away and might not be the look you are going for.

OK, as an alternative, what if you no lift, new wheels, and a 235 A/T tire ? That would look nice, save some $$, and maintain your highway response you have now. There are lots of pics on this site of rigs setup that way.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by calvinator
I'm thinking the 31" tire and all highway driving will be a lower performance experience (affects gearing ratio). My Cherokee w/31s takes a lot of effort to get to 60mph and I have to floor it to see 65-70mph and that is not sustainable.

Since you are spending $$ to lift and use a highway tire for highway use, I think you'll lose highway drive-ability.

Also, the General tire is fine, but kind of bland looking (IMO). Maybe consider an A/T tire?

Here is my Cherokee with 31" BFG highway tires when I bought it...

I'm just offering a sanity check (and opinion) to you because I think a lift w/ 31" highway tires will take performance away and might not be the look you are going for.

OK, as an alternative, what if you no lift, new wheels, and a 235 A/T tire ? That would look nice, save some $$, and maintain your highway response you have now. There are lots of pics on this site of rigs setup that way.

thanks for the info. the company doing this for me called me back and told me the Generals are on back order so i am going with the Pro Comp All Terrain. I also went with a 30x9.5x15 instead of the 31"

The sales rep told me that it really wouldnt affect the performance/acceleration that much that i would even notice.

I am going with the 2" rubicon budget boost lift; do you think with the new tire size i will be better off???

(your jeep looks nice. I likey)
Old 09-17-2011, 09:50 AM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by BrownieBoy247
thanks for the info. the company doing this for me called me back and told me the Generals are on back order so i am going with the Pro Comp All Terrain. I also went with a 30x9.5x15 instead of the 31"

The sales rep told me that it really wouldnt affect the performance/acceleration that much that i would even notice.

I am going with the 2" rubicon budget boost lift; do you think with the new tire size i will be better off???

(your jeep looks nice. I likey)
I think that is a great tire, wheel, lift combo! Good balance for how you'll uuse your Jeep. Those Procomp tires are really nice and have an aggressive look, but highway friendly. Git r done and post some pics ! ! !
Old 09-17-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by calvinator

I think that is a great tire, wheel, lift combo! Good balance for how you'll uuse your Jeep. Those Procomp tires are really nice and have an aggressive look, but highway friendly. Git r done and post some pics ! ! !
Thanks

Thursday she will be complete. Pics to follow.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:51 AM

Engine: 4.0l

Glad others have had better experience with ProComps then I did. They sucked for me, wore stupid fast. For the price, you could easily find something better IMO.
Hope they work out for you though.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by afbond03
Glad others have had better experience with ProComps then I did. They sucked for me, wore stupid fast. For the price, you could easily find something better IMO.
Hope they work out for you though.
I am visiting my brother in charlotte and I am having a highy recommended place do the work. He has done a ton of jeeps, 4runners etc... He loves this tire especially for quiet highway ride. He did recommend the BFG AT ko but on my previous jeep they were noisy for me so I am gonna try the pro comps...

I read a lot of positive and negative reviews so I hope my experience is positive....