Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SYE just installed - How do install front driveshaft??

Old 02-18-2014, 02:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default SYE just installed - How to install front driveshaft??

So, we just installed a Teraflex SYE kit without many problems. However, how the heck does one reinstall the front driveshaft???

I'm unable to force the front DS forward enough to get it to fit into the T case yoke. I've tried prying between the yoke and the DS U joints, but i can't seem to flex the T case back far enough, or the DS/axle forward enough.
What's the trick to this???

Does it help to have the car on jackstands?? Maybe that'd allow the front axle to dangle and move forward a bit?

Also, how does one torque down the gigantic yoke nut onto the T case output shafts??? I'd love to use a torque wrench, but the shafts just endlessly spin.... Maybe just pop it in 4wd or Park and it'll lock the shafts??? Thoughts???

Last edited by gottarollwithit; 02-18-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Same shaft that came out ?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

I hope he has a DC style. Op, are you installing the pinion side first. Do the TC side then you can jack jeep up, you can remove rear axle, you can sell jeep. Which ever. Always do the TC side first
Old 02-18-2014, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
I hope he has a DC style. Op, are you installing the pinion side first. Do the TC side then you can jack jeep up, you can remove rear axle, you can sell jeep. Which ever. Always do the TC side first
With ds fully compressed don't matter which goes first.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Hum Taking note of this, before it happened here.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gottarollwithit
So, we just installed a Teraflex SYE kit without many problems. However, how the heck does one reinstall the front driveshaft???

I'm unable to force the front DS forward enough to get it to fit into the T case yoke. I've tried prying between the yoke and the DS U joints, but i can't seem to flex the T case back far enough, or the DS/axle forward enough.
What's the trick to this???

Does it help to have the car on jackstands?? Maybe that'd allow the front axle to dangle and move forward a bit?

Also, how does one torque down the gigantic yoke nut onto the T case output shafts??? I'd love to use a torque wrench, but the shafts just endlessly spin.... Maybe just pop it in 4wd or Park and it'll lock the shafts??? Thoughts???
Still trying to figure this out myself take front shaft out do sye now shaft don't fit back in . Unless there two shafts and mixed them up maybe .
Old 02-18-2014, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Its always easier to get the TC side in first. OP, physically measure it. If its too long of a DS, it may be too long to use for your lift. I always reassembled DS while on the lift. Makes life easier. If you're underneath, even fully compressed can be a chore while lying under
Old 02-18-2014, 10:28 AM
CF Veteran

Its always easier to get the TC side in first. OP, physically measure it. If its too long of a DS, it may be too long to use for your lift. I always reassembled DS while on the lift. Makes life easier. If you're underneath, even fully compressed can be a chore while lying under
Hes talking about the front shaft ...
Old 02-18-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

lol, Nothing should have changed with the front shaft.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1971
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 360
Default driveshafts

a slip n stub drive shaft without a long travel set up is suppost to have1.5 to 1.75 inchs from compression .if the front dosent compress all the way u need to make the drive-shaft free up some how.what i recommend (i build driveshafts for a living) is to soak the stub and slip yolk in solvent for 20 minutes or so and try to work the slip yolk back and forth until freed up if the yolk is aftermarket the'll be a hole on the plug under the u joint make sure that when you free up the yolk that it doesent get moved out of its position because a drive shaft is balanced together if yolk gets turned or put back together wrong your balance will b off u can pm me if u need more help
Old 02-18-2014, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lowrange2
lol, Nothing should have changed with the front shaft.
Bingo ......
Old 02-18-2014, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Even the front drive shaft. Same thing. When i rebuilt my front DS, when i re installed it, i had it on jack stands, did the TC side first and then had to pry it into the Pinion end. It dis some persuading but it got in.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:32 PM

Even the front drive shaft. Same thing. When i rebuilt my front DS, when i re installed it, i had it on jack stands, did the TC side first and then had to pry it into the Pinion end. It dis some persuading but it got in.
This.

I've installed the SYE into the T case. It's one of those $$ Teraflex SYE kits that replaces the output shaft of the T case (big heavy gear shaft) and the entire rear driveshaft. So far i have not installed the rear drive shaft b/c it's adjustable, thus should be easy to install.

At question here is the FRONT DRIVESHAFT. It's the same old shaft that i took out. All of the SYE install videos and manuals just show people assembling the yoke and front DS together by hand with no problems.

There was a good bit of tension when i had to pry it off when i disassembled it. Now, there's that same tension but i can't seem to get it pryed back on!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gottarollwithit
This.

I've installed the SYE into the T case. It's one of those $$ Teraflex SYE kits that replaces the output shaft of the T case (big heavy gear shaft) and the entire rear driveshaft. So far i have not installed the rear drive shaft b/c it's adjustable, thus should be easy to install.

At question here is the FRONT DRIVESHAFT. It's the same old shaft that i took out. All of the SYE install videos and manuals just show people assembling the yoke and front DS together by hand with no problems.

There was a good bit of tension when i had to pry it off when i disassembled it. Now, there's that same tension but i can't seem to get it pryed back on!
Vechicle jacked up front axle not supported ?
Old 02-18-2014, 04:26 PM

Vehicle not jacked up - on all 4 wheels. It has a 3' lift kit, so no need to jack up. Lots of room underneath.

I did unbolt the transmission X-member and lower the T case - supported by a floor jack.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SYE just installed - How do install front driveshaft??