Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension 101. Someone help the noob.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Suspension 101. Someone help the noob.

I'm am just starting my build and i do not have cash enough to build 2 our 3 times. I also don't have an unlimited budget for a pro build. I want to create something that is more capable than I. I want a semi low cog (4.5" lift) beast that sits on 33's maybe 35's and i plan to build over time.So let's say that the goal is to drive this beast to and through the rubicon and back and then to work the next day. Unbreakable without breaking the bank and doing it all...yeah i know, I'm asking for the impossible...

So first, what are the affects of a lift and tires on the suspension and what are ALL of the components that need to be changed? What are the best bang for my buck component options. For example a Ford explorer 8.8 rearend (btw what year).

Im reading and searching already but please post anything (links, advice, whatever) that has helped you to understand this arcane art of suspensions and specifically on the xj. Also other high quality and worthwhile (or if it's not) options, like the zj tirod mod, is it worth it vs buying an after market one and is it a component where brand does or does not matter.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

I dont mean to sound rude, have you wheeled at all? There is an absolutely tremendous amount of information out there. Much much more than people could point you to. Your best bet is to sit back and read as much as you can. And also, go out and wheel! Get to know your vehicle.

Also, there's no "right way" to build a jeep. There's no way you could build it once and get it perfect. There's always more you can do.

My favorite shirt reads as follows:
Build
Break
Fix
Repeat
Old 11-06-2013, 01:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Unbreakable isn't true off road i have broke a dana 60 in a f350 before lol.That's why you carry spare parts like u joints axles etc etc.On the 8.8 95-00 explorer/mountaineer anything else will be too wide or the wrong bolt pattern.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:57 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I'm sure you don't want to hear this but, Sloooow Doooown. I mean no disrespect, but I don't think you know what you're asking. I agree with Jerry, there is so much info out there that you need to sift through first. No one can just hand it to you and suddenly you know all there is to know about your jeep. It's going to take you a while to figure out what you want/like and it may be very different from me or Jerry or anyone else on here.

Having said that, this is the place to go for help with your jeep. I just woke up, I'm sipping on coffee, and I'm not quite firing on all cylinders yet. So I don't have a lot of threads that I can think of in particular that you should read right now other than the stickies in modified tech. Hell, one of them is a low COG tricks/tips. Read through the stickies with a fine tooth comb and read as many builds on here that interests you. Also, use the search bar feature. If you have a particular question, you could find the answer in a matter of seconds instead of having to wait for a response from another member. And we all know that you'll most likely get a little hazing for not searching in the first place.

Good luck and give em' hell!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

"Unbreakable without breaking the bank"

LOL, I have over $3k into my rig so far and it ain't even lifted yet! (although a lot of that is in parts laying around waiting to go on)

I agree with the above , slow down a bit. Join the groups on Facebook if you're on there, watch YouTube videos, read everything on this forum. I've learned enough of a thorough understanding of my rig to be able to fix damn near anything, and also get ideas about re-engineering the thing to work better for me. It's fantastic...but you have to pay to play. If you have a predetermined budgetary number, just throw it out the window. It may be a good starting point, but remember, this is a Jeep we're talking about.

What you are trying to do isn't impossible. If you have questions about something, search the forums by going to Google and typing "site:cherokeeforum.com ZJ tie rod upgrade", etc.

Here's a good start on the front suspension. Study this, ask Google questions about it, and gain an understanding of how all of these components work together.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.8

Listen to these guys ^^^ They know what they're talking about. As for me, I bought my first jeep last year when I just turned 16. I put a 2 inch Hockey Puck lift and cheap 31's That's what I started with. I wanted to go bigger so when I turned 17 I sold the jeep I had. And went out and a bought another Bigger project jeep. My advice is start small with you Jeep, research all you can about different lifts and tire set up's. some mods you can live with out. There's a point where you just to be happy with what you have and go with it. ALSO if you have a question don't Private Message someone put on the forum for all to learn.
Michael.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.8

Originally Posted by JerrytheJeep
I dont mean to sound rude, have you wheeled at all? There is an absolutely tremendous amount of information out there. Much much more than people could point you to. Your best bet is to sit back and read as much as you can. And also, go out and wheel! Get to know your vehicle.

Also, there's no "right way" to build a jeep. There's no way you could build it once and get it perfect. There's always more you can do.

My favorite shirt reads as follows:
Build
Break
Fix
Repeat
Jerry, I gotta get me one of those shirts!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by michaeldamann

Jerry, I gotta get me one of those shirts!
http://www.allthingsjeep.com/build-b...-cherokee.html

its even got a little Cherokee on it!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Read the stickies fellow noob! The Lift/Tire questions thread is especially helpful. I've learned so much from that, as well as the other stickies in the multiple sub-forums.

I've also gone to a couple of different Jeep specific off road shops and talked to the guys there. They will help you most because they will be able to physically explain how Jeep suspension works and show you their lift/tire setups on their own Jeeps. It really helps to see things with your own eyes, not just read something on the internets.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default 4 link

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/su...ension-part-1/
Old 11-06-2013, 09:18 AM

Year: 97

Excellent thread title btw !! No ones' trying to slam your hope for your jeep but have given excellent advise.. They've all been where you're at and over time have come to realize not every jeep or owner is the same, sure you can make it what you want and do it for pennies but the reality is it will take time, and lots of it.. Trial and error will be king !! If you're going for aesthetics I also suggest finding a build on here or google that you like and go from there, but keep in mind once you build that jeep you may or may not like it.. Some here have built awesome rigs using JY parts but these guys know what works for them, and although their rigs look awesome it may, or may not handle like you visioned for your jeep...

Baby steps, I've been a member here for a while now and have finally (I think) found the direction I want to take my rig, and that too may change once its complete as my tastes may change with it.... Though I would consider myself a moderate gearhead my whole life I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to suspension, a noob.. You can learn a lot from these guys and the net but your best teacher will be yourself and the jeep you're crawling under, and the more you modify the more likely you'll be spending time fixing what you find doesn't suit you... Trail and error my friend...
Old 11-06-2013, 09:30 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Read read read. Read some more.

I managed to get a pretty decent lift together for $250 off craigslist and some intelligent shopping
Old 11-06-2013, 09:42 AM

Year: 97

@pocketsempty.. excellent link brother!! and I also checked out your LED link, me likey
Old 11-06-2013, 12:35 PM

Fair enough, i guess i am trying to short cut, i was just hoping that if a dozen or so people were to post links i could save myself the search headache. Not because search sucks bit because I suck royally at search not to mention my lack of focus, i can read for hours and learn nothing about what i was originally searching for.

Btw, this is the most polite flaming ever. How about this, what are the most important things to attack before they fail besides diffs, axles and ujoints. For example extended brake lines. Also i was reading that the part that the track bar connects to is flimsy. steering box? etc. At least i'll have specifics to search. I will do some reading and post back later and thanks for the gentle correcting...seriously not being a smart ***.

Last edited by ChillyWilly72; 11-06-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

I could write a small bit about what I feel would.serve as do it all rig..
One thats damn capable and still able to cruise down the highway...
Let me know if you want my thoughts..
I've been dicking with xjs a while now..owned 4 in the last 3 years and have been through about 10 suspension changes

Quick Reply: Suspension 101. Someone help the noob.