Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggested Speaker Replacements?

Old 06-17-2011, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Suggested Speaker Replacements?

Looking to replace the deck and speakers in my 99 XJ. Any suggestions on quality speakers with a reasonable price? Looking for some good bass and clear vocals. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Banned

I personally say your asking too much from coaxial speakers. And what constitutes a decent price?
Boston and Infinity Kappa series are on the bassier side. But the highs are not very good in my opinion.
Focal give killer highs and decent low end. But if your adding a sub later on. It's a great way to go. Hertz speakers are kick butt to.
What I did was I went with a component set up front and managed 6.5" in the rear. Without a sub it was pretty dang good. With just a single 10" sub and 300 watt RMS. It's a nice small, tight clean sound without being annoying or making myself a target for wandering eyes.
I say Eclipes head units. Easy to use. Great control. Plays scratched CD's no problem. Had decent enough power for speakers until you can get a external power source (amp). You can dial in tone control pretty well. But a parametric EQ is way better and not horribly expensive.
JL I also think does a great job at consumer level speakers. Not as expensive as Focal or Hertz. But way better then Pioneer, Alpine, etc.
Sony head units kick butt nowa days too. They are not making the same crappy stuff they were 2 or 3 years ago. 3 and 4 volt outputs. Easy to use. Good tone control. I'm not a fan of their speakers or amps. But head units are 2 thumbs up.
When shopping for speakers. You can't take the sound seriously out of the displays at auto shops. Look at where they are made of. The mounting dept. Make sure it's compatible for the Jeeps mounting depth.
Paper speaker vs polypropylene speakers. They address tone differently. So do aluminum speakers.
If you want to stay on somewhat of a cheaper side of things. I really don't think you can go wrong with typical stuff that is out there. I would highly doubt one can tell the difference between a $150 set of Pioneers from Alpines if tone controls were set the same in the same vehicle.
If you want to achieve quality sound and performance. Piece a system together as money and time permits. Starting with the front. It's the most expensive commitment and the rest is rather cheap.
Components in the back are super ideal by the way the speakers are situated. But I'm not so sure if the extra money is worth the coin. The highs are brighter and a bit louder. But your not sitting back there. And how often are you toting around 4 or 5 ppl in the car?
Just my two cents.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:08 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

^^ Good reply above!

when it really boils down to it, the cherokee isnt really good as far as acoustics are concerned.... a good stereo could only sound but SO good until someone gets into serious sound deadening and cabin sealing....

that said, i love High quality tunes, My Sti has a very nice stereo, PPI 1400x1, PPI 100x4, Kenwood KDX 896 (24 bit DSP), MBQ Prem's, and a JL w6

and with that said, I'm perfectly happy with my aftermarket deck in my cherokee running to two, low end Memphis Audio 6.5 coaxials.....

We just installed some shallow Infinity Reference coaxial 6.5's in my wifes cherokee hooked to an Alpine and they sound pretty good too!
I'm about to go all out and put a Double DIN Pioneer 4300 in the wifes rig next... maybe a 4 channel and some components, but like i said before.... a Cherokee's stereo will only sound so good using stock locations and no extreme sound deadening
Old 06-18-2011, 02:39 PM

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 86368666585

memphis is the only way to go
Old 06-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

While your mileage may vary......................
Some old school advise. I did this crap professionally more than 20 years ago.
Myself and my customers preferred Polypropylene woofers, often times paired with a single tweeter. Coaxial speakers but never more than coaxial. 3 and 4 way speakers are a waste. The bigger the speaker, the clearer/lower the bass. If you can mount tweeters on the dash, make it happen. Try to match the speaker wattage to the amplifier. Im still putting my latest system together but:
Tweeters in dash are only driven to 10 watts RMS they are rated @ 15 watts
Frt door Coaxial's are driven to 25 watts RMS and are rated at 40 watts
Rear door full range are driven to 25 watts RMS and are rated at 30 watts
Subwoofer mounted in the rear cubby is rated at 60 watts RMS and driven with a 50 watt amp.

Basically Im running 4 small amps, and sound quality is excellent inside the Jeep as well as 50 feet outside the Jeep. Lower wattage speakers can be more efficient than higher wattage ones.
Dont go by name. Look at meaningful specs and decent warranty's.

Here is an excellent place to compare prices and specs:
http://www.parts-express.com/car-audio.cfm

Once again, your mileage may vary..................
Ron
Old 06-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I am running Boston Acoustics SR 60 6.5" Components in the front with the tweeters in the triangles on the door.
- http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mpaign=froogle

I am running Boston Acoustics SR95 6x9s om the rear custom mounted into the stock locations on the roof. Isnt ideal but when upgrading to better components in the front, its will over power the stock sized rear speakers. Even if you upgrade them, trust me i know, it was a waste of money.
- http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...Dampening.html

This is a damn good set up. Running a snorkel, cherry bomb, throttle body spacer, 33" MTs, cruising on the freeway with open windows at 65 i can still hear my music clearly. Base is decent, nothing to scream about but that wasnt my goal. I wanted clear vocals. This IMO is a great budget system and sounds great. Sonic Electronics is awesome, fast shipping and great prices.

Just a note. My brother went with Polk Audio front and rear and they CLOWN my Bostins. His speakers were not too much more expensive either.

Just my 10 cents.