Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subthump box install

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Subthump box install

I just got done installing my subthump.com cherokee box that fits in the cubby hole in the cargo area. It took me about 9 hours to complete over the course of 3 days. I installed the amp under the passenger seat with zip ties. I took the seat out. It would have been almost impossible if I hadnt. I ran all the wiring through the dash, under the bottom side plastic cover (also helps to have the seat out when trying to get this piece on/off) and under the carpet where there was already a pre cut hole in the carpet in the middle of the seat. It was difficult sliding the power wire through the fire wall. I found an existing grommit on the right side of the fire wall. I slid the wire in as much as I could, then went in the Jeep and unhooked the glove box to fit my hand behind it. Its very tight back there and you will have to do a lot of fishing for that power wire. (note: make sure the power wire is not connected to the battery yet!) Then I ran the speaker wire under the carpet up through the rear seat into the side plastic and into the box. Now is a good time to test all the wiring. Hook up the sub and make sure it works. If not, you messed up the wiring and/or a fuse is blown. Check to make sure the light on the amp is on, also.

In order to take the plastic cubby hole side cover off I just cut a line in the plastic that holds the seat belt part in. You can see it in a picture. I had to take off and put back on that plastic piece many times. Cutting the slit is much easier than taking off the seat belt. Then I unscrewed 4 screws holding the plastic on. Subthump sends a set of directions that are very helpful. You will want to follow those. I did and it turned out great. On the back of the plastic cubby piece there is some foam stuff (probably for insulation?) It is sticky on one side, so I just took it off carefully and cleaned the inside of the sheet metal and stuck it to that for some sound deadening affect.
Side note: while you have the plastic cubby piece out take some time to check out the insides of the rear corner on your jeep. I vacuumed and wiped it down, then sprayed some spray paint to help prevent rust in that area down the line.
Next, you will see a tab or two that you have to cut off or bend back so the sub box will fit in the space. I had one and just bent it back. Then, you will want to get a jigsaw or thin cut off wheel and follow the line around the spot that sinks in on the plastic. The directions will show you. After that, put the plastic back in and see if the box fits. Mine did not after the first cut. I had to cut more plastic off closer to the seat belt area. Put the plastic back in and put the side of the box closest to the lift gate in and put the box up to the plastic on the seat belt side and see where it lines up and mark there. Thats where you should cut. On the second try I was able to slide the box in for a nice tight fit. Dont forget to plug in your speaker wires before sliding the box in for the last time. The plug is on the bottom of the box.
For some reason, subthump only sends the box with 3 long screws to attach the box to the Jeep. It fits really snug so I just used those 3 screws to hold mine down. You could use more if you choose.
Next step is to attach the wires to your sub and mount the sub in the box. The box or my sub didnt come with a speaker grill, so if you want one youre gonna have to find it somewhere else.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Also, I have not heard a single rattle from anywhere. And thats with all my gear back there.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

Very nice! I'm gunna have to look more into this.