Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****Sub Questions??? HOW DO I WIRE THEM???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default ****Sub Questions??? HOW DO I WIRE THEM???

Im havin some trouble wiring my sub in the back of my 1999 cherokee. im running the amp under the back seat. But my main question is.... How do i wire them using the stock radio?

the only reason im running the sub is cause i have a bad *** amp i have had for a while a friend just gave to me, and found a nice sub for cheap from a junkyard previously. i have heard about wiring them to a rear speaker and was wondering if anyone had any tips/ suggestions on how to do so.

any help is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

This might help:
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wirin...head-unit.html

I don't think you could wire your sub to the rear speakers because of the highs and lows won't be seperated
Old 01-14-2013, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

I don't think you could wire your sub to the rear speakers because of the highs and lows won't be seperated
You can, using a line output converter. You can wire the speaker wire inputs from one of your rear speakers to the converter, and then you have 2 RCA outputs for the subwoofer. Not all LOCs will work for this, you will have to get one specific for subwoofers. A place like Crutchfield.com would be a good place to start your research.

The drawbacks to this setup are that you lose a rear speaker (because it is the subwoofer signal now) and sound quality will probably be diminished, because of the crappy stock wiring that the Jeep's have to the rear. The advantage is that you can keep your stock head unit.

In my opinion, for all the fussing around you are going to have to do, it would be much more worthwhile to just get a new head unit. Your speakers will sound much better, you will have a designated output for you subwoofers. A decent head unit is pretty inexpensive now anyways.