Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel no longer straight...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Steering wheel no longer straight...

So here is a list of everything I did today:

Replaced upper and lower ball joints on the driver side, new wheel bearing/hub on drivers side. Finally adjusted my adjustable track bar to make it longer and center the Jeep.

Now she is all back together and rides smooth, no more death wobble, yay, but now my wheel is not centered anymore...

What could I have done to cause this? Is that from adjusting the track bar? Or could I have turned the wheel while replacing the ball joints and that cause it?
Old 08-16-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 293 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 2.9 Stroker 4cyl

Originally Posted by HighOnLift
So here is a list of everything I did today:

Replaced upper and lower ball joints on the driver side, new wheel bearing/hub on drivers side. Finally adjusted my adjustable track bar to make it longer and center the Jeep.

Now she is all back together and rides smooth, no more death wobble, yay, but now my wheel is not centered anymore...

What could I have done to cause this? Is that from adjusting the track bar? Or could I have turned the wheel while replacing the ball joints and that cause it?
Old 08-16-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it was also indeed the track bar adjustment that caused this to need adjusted. What confused me is in another post someone told me that nothing else needs adjusted when adjusting track bar...

Originally Posted by awg
technically, the trackbar needs to adjusted half the amount you want to move the body..(in practice you may need more)

draw yourself a diagram of force direction, just remember the body will move away from the fixed lower mount if trackbar made effectively longer

LHD is too confusing for me, as I work on RHD vehicles in Australia (altho my CCKW was LHD)..steering/trackbar is back to front

nothing else needs adjusting, altho i left my LCA bolts a bit loose and drove the vehicle up & back the driveway, prior to torque them, but I had swapped the bushes