Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering/track bar questions

Old 01-08-2019, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default steering/track bar questions

Good evening guys,

I just picked up a XJ after selling my Comanche a few months ago .It currently has OTK steering with a UTK track bar. The steering on the jeep is terrible which is why the PO got rid of it supposedly which is kind of funny because I got rid of the manche because the 1 ton steering I put on from JCR pissed me off and always seemed ****ty. The current UTK axle track bar mount is about shot so I went ahead and ordered a new bracket to weld onto the axle. I did some searching on finding if its a must to switch to a OTK track bar mount or not. I'm finding mixed answers on it. I was thinking about upgrading the steering box with a durango one as well but I'm a bit tight on money at the moment. I seen a few photos with the same exact track bar/OTK steering but they didn't really speak on how it drove. I checked the toe and it seems to be set to 1/16" in with tape measures which seems okay. The steering feels like its shifting when you're turning left to right. There is no physical play in the axle track bar mount when I have the jeep on the ground but I'm sure thats probably a different story with the jeep moving. Is it worth my time to replace the UTK track bar mount or should I just get OTK track bar mount/bracket? I understand the track bar and drag link should be close to the same angle which mine probably aren't close enough.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I thought the steering rod from the steering box went on top on the passenger side and the other goes under that . and the nut on the track bar needs to be fixed , you mite have to cut out all the old mount and weld in a new mount for the track bar.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:08 PM

I posted above that I ordered a new UTK axle track bar bracket lol. Also the steering rod/drag link is installed correctly according to IRO photos.

Main questions was if this setup would work fine with UTK track bar and OTK steering.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:05 PM

Got my new HD UTK track bar mount welded up tonight. Took it for a test drive and god damn the steering is 100x better. Still not perfect, has some bump steer. Wondering if the sway bar is causing it since it has non adjustable links. Also thinking the gear box might have some play in it.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:33 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: L6
Default Lift size and control arms

What size lift and does it have short or long control armsm
Old 01-09-2019, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by moparhemi
What size lift and does it have short or long control armsm
6.5” IRO 3 link long arms
Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Renix

Your track bar and drag link are off just enough you might have some bump steer. However, I dont know that I would spend a lot of time and money to make it perfect. With the lift height you are at, you are going to have a bit of steering input just from the body lean. Definitely make sure that upper track bar mount is secure. Check your toe and caster, make sure they are within spec and then drive the thing.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmn
Your track bar and drag link are off just enough you might have some bump steer. However, I dont know that I would spend a lot of time and money to make it perfect. With the lift height you are at, you are going to have a bit of steering input just from the body lean. Definitely make sure that upper track bar mount is secure. Check your toe and caster, make sure they are within spec and then drive the thing.
The bolts to that were loose when I picked up. I tightened them up then welded the bracket on so its solid. Toe is on point, I'll have to check caster.