Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999.
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, I6
Default Steering issue

Ok so the deal is, I'm running otk 1-ton steering, no steering stabilizer and both the Rustys and jcr steering box braces. I'm running the RC 6.5" LA. With the IRO trac bar. Well i Went wheelin yesterday for the first time since putting the steering in which came with my new axles. Anyways i aligned it after instal and the steering was perfect. Well after wheelin it my steering wheel is now cocked to about 10-11 o'clock as opposed to straight up at 12 o'clock. So my question is what should I look to tighten or readjust to straighten out my steering wheel again.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Pics of your steering set up would help, was the otk steering used?
Old 08-27-2012, 01:46 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

The drag link. Although these 1-ton upgrades I've been told can take a beating, so just make sure it is just a knocked off adjustment before moving the link. Go drive it and make a hard right hand turn at a slower speed and see if it straightens out. If not then it should just be your drag link and it's an easy fix. If it does straighten out then you are in the same boat as me and it is something else (which I am still trying to figure out).
Old 08-27-2012, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You may have slightly tweaked your steering or trackbar. Or maybe even the frame around the steering box. After almost every good weekend of wheeling my steering wheel ended up being ever so slightly off from where it was before, oftentimes worse than what you describe. If i found nothing wrong i just readjusted the drag link.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999.
Engine: 4.0, I6

Originally Posted by Kuro89
Pics of your steering set up would help, was the otk steering used?
the steering is used, i will try getting pics up shortly

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
You may have slightly tweaked your steering or trackbar. Or maybe even the frame around the steering box. After almost every good weekend of wheeling my steering wheel ended up being ever so slightly off from where it was before, oftentimes worse than what you describe. If i found nothing wrong i just readjusted the drag link.
yea im used to it being slightly off esp after a good rock crawling session but before i didnt have 1 ton steering so my steering was looser then a hot dog in a hallway. so after getting the alingment with the 1 ton steering it was tighter then the virgin mary and i just wasnt sure if the tilt was normal for this kind of steering.