Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering box brace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Steering box brace?

Has any body use a steering box brace? I saw one in a jeep catalog and was thinking about it. Any info? Hows it mount? Thanks guys.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:43 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

There are several manufacturers (ie. Currie Enterprises) of the steering box brace which are designed to clamp around the body of the steering box and then bolt to the uni frame on the passenger side. You can read about it on this link: http://www.oramagazine.com/pastIssue...-steering.html

There is another design (ie. C-ROK) where you unbolt the steering box and install inner and outer plates that reinforce the steering box mounting location. You can read about it on this link:
http://www.fm2cd.com/97XJ/crok_kit.htm
Old 08-14-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

I use the clamp type. I would suggest getting one for any tire 31" and bigger...here's a pic of mine, I had it built for $40 by a local fabricator

At the very least, it'll give you peace of mind by knowing you reinforced it while you're on a tough Rock garden.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 PM

Year: 1999

Plates on both sides of the "frame" rail are advisable as tire size goes up.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM

I shopped around and got one from Rusty's. They pretty much look all the same and hook up all the same. Mine looks like the one pictured about. I think Rugged Ridge or some other company makes them and other companies slap their label on it in my opinion. I like it. No complaints with it. I did it to prevent the common cracking of the "frame rail" where the steering box mounts. I run it with 32 inch tires. No problems. I definitely recommend one.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

looking at the rusty's one for mine as well been running 33s for a little bit now and it worries me...
Old 08-14-2011, 08:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 classic
Engine: 4.0!!

i made my own inner and my winch bumper is my outer. super easy to make i can get the deminsions up if interested. its 1/4 plate with washers welded to space the steering box off the frame rail
Attached Thumbnails Steering box brace?-hgfh.jpg  
Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by cdawall
looking at the rusty's one for mine as well been running 33s for a little bit now and it worries me...

What's the worry bro?
Old 08-14-2011, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lyon
What's the worry bro?
i already bent a tierod out on a trail the steering box is next.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:48 PM

i already bent a tierod out on a trail the steering box is next.

You'll bend a tie rid 100 times faster than a steering brace. A tie rod end is also a wearable part. So it could have gone from fatigue. What's cool with the brace it that there really isn't much pressure applied to it in order to "break" it. It kind of just sits there. It's only there to help the steering box from flexing at the mounting bolt area. It doesn't hold the box "in place" you'll be fine. I've never heard of anyone breaking on of these. If you do break it, you have WAY more to worry about than that little bar.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

hmmm so concerns unfounded?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:01 PM

Year: 2001

If you're turning 33's without any kind of reinforcement to the frame area of the steering box, I'd go ahead and grab at least the inner plate. TnT makes a great piece. This is a much better option than the steering box brace. I'd even add the outer plate before added the brace.

You will eventually weaken and crack that area of the frame without it
Old 08-14-2011, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Wearingthin
If you're turning 33's without any kind of reinforcement to the frame area of the steering box, I'd go ahead and grab at least the inner plate. TnT makes a great piece. This is a much better option than the steering box brace. I'd even add the outer plate before added the brace.

You will eventually weaken and crack that area of the frame without it
good to know they are in my list if things to do now.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:24 AM

hmmm so concerns unfounded?

You're running the 285 16's? I forget, does that equivilate to 32's or 33's? That's why I got the 15 inch wheels because the tires tell me if they are 31's, 32's. 33's ect... It's not much for me to think about. If you go on the Rusty's site, they say that anything over 31" (iirc) you should run the steering brace. It's really cheap insurance. I agree with the steering box plates, but sometimes it's a major PITA to remove the steering box bolts and I've seen it so many times where they snap. This is where patience needs to set in. The brace is way easier to install if you don't have a lot of time. Instead of the inner braces, I purchased C 4X4 Tow hooks with brackets which help some in that area with support along with the Brace, I run 32's, I don't do extreme wheeling but I do have some fun and I love flexing it and I don't have any problems with the set up.
It all depends on what you want to do with it and how much you want to abuse it.

JCROffroad also offers the plates
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...ry_Code=XJMISC

Rusty's Brace
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=ste

C 4X4 Tow hooks WITH brackets not full braces
http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/recovery.html

Last edited by Lyon; 08-15-2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Added links
Old 08-16-2011, 05:58 AM

Year: 97

Thanks guys,my frame already broke sheard the bolts right off the steering box thank god i was going slow inside a campground.i plateD the out side but i just want some extra pertection.i have to change out the box cause mypitman arm has a little play in it so i figured while im doing that put the brace in.

Quick Reply: Steering box brace?