Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stalls in deep water?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default stalls in deep water?

i want to get yall's opinion of what may be causing this..
i have a '97 4.0L auto, new cap, rotor, plugs & wires, cap is sealed with rtv, the coil & spark plug wires have die-electric grease at both ends, alternator has been relocated about a half-inch away from the hood, the battery is in a sealed box in the rear hatch, and the engine is snorkel'd.

the problem is, when i get it in water up to just above the headlamps or deeper, it'll start to sputter and then shut off. i can always get it to crank over for 3-4 times for about 5 seconds each time, but then water eventually crawls up the exhaust and hydrolocks the engine, and i have to pull her out, pull the plugs andspit all the water out. then it fires right back up. my '94 would go in any water as long as you could keep feeding it air, i cant figure out whats causing my '97 to sputter and shut off. i have since swapped the mechanical fan for dual electric fans but havent tested the jeep in deep water again yet. can the mechanical fan submerged in water stall the engine? seems unlikely, the belt has never squeeled and the blades were not bent. i dunno.

if anyone knows what i might be missing or something else i could try i'd appreciate it!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

My suggestion is stay away from water I also feel the same way about mud
Old 07-23-2012, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 341 Likes on 231 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

It could be any number of sensors or maybe even the computer itself. Its a jeep not a submarine.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Come on man....Pretty obvious solution would be not to put it in water upto your headlights...you could be shorting out a number of things, or drowning the engine...etc...who knows??? It's not a amphicar...
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 AM

Year: 1995 &2000
Engine: 4.0

My 94 does it in water over the tires, my guess is the cps gets wet and causes it to misfire on mine, could be a same issue with yours
Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 AM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: I6 4.0L HO

O2 and cps big 2
Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Seasoned Member

avoid the water & the mud? dude, this is a jeep forum, get real. im cant, and dont want to, simply avoid the water. i live in FL, all we have is swamp.

any number of sensors... what sensors, specifically? the crank sensor is submerged by the time the tires are fully submerged, and there is never a problem at that depth. the front o2 sensor has been disconnected for 3 months. TPS does get a little wet; cam sensor is sealed inside the distributor with rtv and the connector has dielectric grease inside it. however, i have not yet tried waterproofing the computer; that seems the next logical step.
could i be missing anything else?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0l

If your getting water into your cylinders then its making it past the intake, whether its got a snorkel or not you gotta realize any minor cracks especially in the intake gasket you'll suck water in.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by partsguyct
If your getting water into your cylinders then its making it past the intake, whether its got a snorkel or not you gotta realize any minor cracks especially in the intake gasket you'll suck water in.
the water is only coming in through the exhaust once the engine has been shut off for a while. i just replaced the intake manifold gasket & TB gasket about a month ago
Old 07-23-2012, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rompnXJ
avoid the water & the mud? dude, this is a jeep forum, get real. im cant, and dont want to, simply avoid the water. i live in FL, all we have is swamp.

any number of sensors... what sensors, specifically? the crank sensor is submerged by the time the tires are fully submerged, and there is never a problem at that depth. the front o2 sensor has been disconnected for 3 months. TPS does get a little wet; cam sensor is sealed inside the distributor with rtv and the connector has dielectric grease inside it. however, i have not yet tried waterproofing the computer; that seems the next logical step.
could i be missing anything else?
Since you live in FL I'd say sell the jeep and buy and old lifted Chevy truck or something a long those lines
Old 07-23-2012, 11:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Wow you guys are absolutely no help telling him to stay out of the water.. Considering he WANTS to drive it in water.

Definitely seal up the computer... Did you put the dielectric grease in the IAT connector or the MAP sensor connector? CPS shouldnt be hurt by itself either way.. its a magnet.

I would personally go ahead and glob dielectric grease on EVERY connector if you havent already.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:55 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
Wow you guys are absolutely no help telling him to stay out of the water.. Considering he WANTS to drive it in water.

Definitely seal up the computer... Did you put the dielectric grease in the IAT connector or the MAP sensor connector? CPS shouldnt be hurt by itself either way.. its a magnet.

I would personally go ahead and glob dielectric grease on EVERY connector if you havent already.
Stay out of the water...sorry had to do it lol..
Old 07-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Wait, you only have a cowl snorkel?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 4.0

If I hook a long hose to my intake and put a float on the end so it stays above water could I drive completely underwater?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by lowrange2
If I hook a long hose to my intake and put a float on the end so it stays above water could I drive completely underwater?
According to people in Florida, yes.

Quick Reply: stalls in deep water?