Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkel

When making a homemade snorkel, is it easier to do away with the air box or what do I do? Please help! Also if you have done this id like to get some ideas!
Old 09-28-2014, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Personally I would do it like this guy and make a cowl intake because it's stealthy and it gives you better height for the air intake but the filter is just a cone filter inside the pipe

Snorkel-image-295042544.jpg
Old 09-28-2014, 07:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
Personally I would do it like this guy and make a cowl intake because it's stealthy and it gives you better height for the air intake but the filter is just a cone filter inside the pipe

Attachment 254538
Using the stock air box is safer and more effective. It provides a dirt and water trap where the direct snorkels will suck dirt and water into your motor more easily.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:04 PM
CF Veteran

The filter sets on top of the snorkel exit. So any water or dirt goes to the bottom of the box rather than directly in the filter. The intake tube sits up high and safe from any water or dirt.

Name:  IMG_20120828_211344.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  66.1 KB

Last edited by holycaveman; 09-28-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Isn't the cowl in itself a dirt/water trap in the same way the airbox would be? So long as you drill your hole higher than the bottom? It also has a drain. I guess the fact that the air box is somewhat sealed might make it a little more effective than the cowl.

In anycase, if you do make your own, there are a few different companies that sell sealed in-line airboxes if you want to remove the existing one (possibly to add an extra battery/OBA etc). Spectre makes the one that comes with their cowl kit and a larger one, K&N has the Apollo, Baldwin Filters has one etc. You could probably fab one up with PVC/Cone filter pretty easily if you were short on cash.

All the true snorkel kits (not cowl) out there that I have seen all route it to the drivers side and up and keep the stock box. I presume this is both so they don't have to make as much tubing and to keep the distance it has to travel to a minimum. Plus the air might be slightly cooler when not traveling over a hot engine and that is always a marketing point.

The specter kit has done great for me. No problems with water in the past few years of feet of snow/fording rivers etc. and my oil doesn't seem to be getting any dirtier than normal even after living on a gravel road/moab and other dry areas.

Last edited by Ianf406; 09-28-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ianf406
Isn't the cowl in itself a dirt/water trap in the same way the airbox would be? So long as you drill your hole higher than the bottom? It also has a drain. I guess the fact that it is somewhat sealed might make it a little more effective than the cowl.

In anycase, if you do make your own, there are a few different companies that sell sealed in-line airboxes if you want to remove the existing one (possibly to add an extra battery/OBA etc). Spectre makes the one that comes with their cowl kit and a larger one, K&N has the Apollo, Baldwin Filters has one etc. You could probably fab one up with PVC/Cone filter pretty easily if you were short on cash.

All the true snorkel kits (not cowl) out there that I have seen all route it to the drivers side and up and keep the stock box. I presume this is both so they don't have to make as much tubing and to keep the distance it has to travel to a minimum. Plus the air might be slightly cooler when not traveling over a hot engine and that is always a marketing point.

The specter kit has done great for me. No problems with water in the past few years of feet of snow/fording rivers etc. and my oil doesn't seem to be getting any dirtier than normal even after living on a gravel road/moab and other dry areas.
I have seen damaged air filter with the in line style. The water tears apart the paper filter because the only place it has to go is through the filter on the way to the motor. Straight shot in.

Using the stock air box it gives an added trap.for anything getting through. Even as much as a gallon of water.

For most people this probably matters little. I have been over the hood in water several times. Still working great.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Originally Posted by holycaveman
I have seen damaged air filter with the in line style. The water tears apart the paper filter because the only place it has to go is through the filter on the way to the motor. Straight shot in.

Using the stock air box it gives an added trap.for anything getting through. Even as much as a gallon of water.

For most people this probably matters little. I have been over the hood in water several times. Still working great.
Your logic makes sense. The extra trap would be a safer bet for sure in that scenario.

For me, crossing 3 feet deep rivers/creeks etc, the cowl does fine. Splashing over the hood is a lot different than being that submerged though. The drain in the cowl is adequate for that. I think if I were to actually plan on submerging my hood, a snorkel like the ARB Safari would be the best bet. The intake is roof level and it does use the stock box as a trap.

Unfortunately, when the water is that deep here it is also fast enough to carry you/your jeep down stream haha. Happens every year here.

If you are not going to be diving that deep though, it sure is nice to have the extra room by eliminating the stock box.